close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cajun food

Discussion in 'OGF Kitchen' started by twistertail, Feb 8, 2005.

1. Anyone have any good recipes for some cajun food? I have been getting into cajun food about the last year and wondered if anyone had some good stuff I could try. Been making lots of jumbalaya with sausage and chicken and even shrimp once and its all been good. Made some gumbo with the Zatarains that was really good also the Zatarains beans and rice mixes are really good too. I even made some homemade andouille sausage over the summer, talk about HOT STUFF:eek: but good.

2. worminator

worminator I'll be bach

Oh Yea, that Zatarains kicks butt. I add a can of Rotel tomatoes and peppers with just about any of the zatarains stuff. Yesaree it kicks it up a notch. Good stuff indeed.

3. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

Specifically, what are you looking for? I've been playing around with this stuff for years. Also, I collect cookbooks with a emphasis on various ethnicities. Got two Emerile cookbooks (one personally autographed :D ). I have a neighbor who's from New Orleans that gave me some good tips too. I like to make the Gumbos, Jambalaya's, Etouffee`, Dirty rice , Shrimp Creole and the rest of the good stuff. By the way, aren't you the same fellow asking about making Andouille a while back??? If so, were you ever able to make it to Findlay market to pick up some of the Andouille and Tasso???
    Ever had white cheddar cheese and Andouille double stuffed potato's????
    So, if you need a specific recipe, chances are I have it. Also, check out Emerile's site he has some good ones there too.
    Alright, that's enough...I'm getting hungry! :D

4. Yep I'm the feller that was asking about the andouille. I decided to make my own in my smoker and it turned out pretty good for my first try. The taste was great but it kinda fell apart when I cut it up so it ended up like ground meet instead of sliced sausage, any ideas on how to fix that? I have not made a gumbo from scratch and would like to try that but the rue has me a little worried. It sounds about like making what my grandma called lard gravy which is just flour and some grease from some type of meat and milk. I've gotten pretty good at making that so i might be able to pull off a good rue. How about that white cheddar and andouille stuffed taters, sounds great?

5. am I going to have to start catching crawdads in darby this year for a crawfish pie or something?

That big rock out there looks good ;)

6. catlover

catlover Banned

For andouille try grinding it first with the coarse attachment, mix the spices and run it through on medium. Then prick small holes in it so it won't blow-up and boil it before smoking.
    Catz

7. Snatch, it wouldnt be the first time I have caught crawdads from Darby and ate them! I have got some really big ones from Hargus at the spillway also.

Hey cat, poke holes in the casing before I put it in the smoker?

8. Hook N Book

If memory serves me correctly, there were some good suggestions on how to correct the crumbling problem. Someone had recommened using additional fat which makes good sense to me. The fellows who make/sell it at Finlay usually make to kinds, one is called Cajun the other Bayou. The Cajun is as you discribe, somewhat of a finer grind than the Bayou, which is a fairly course grind. They're also made in both hot and mild. The other thing that may help you is to make sure you stuff the casing tightly but obviously not so tight as to burst them.

Here's a Roe recipe that's flawless and easy.
    1c flour to 1c vegetable oil. It's best to use a heavy cast iron skillet on med-high heat. Add the oil and heat but DO NOT let it start to smoke. Add the flour and stir constantly until you achieve the desired color. About 15 mins. for a medium color. Longer if you like a stronger and darker color. Some folks like their gumbo dark, some like it medium in color.

Here's a good stock recipe for Seafood Gumbo:
    1 gallon water
    Shells from 2-3 pounds of shrimp
    2 fresh fish carcasses (cleaned of course) :D
    2 turkey necks
    2 turkey backs
    1 bag of Zatarains shrimp and crab boil
    4 bay leaves
    2-3 onions
    4-6 celery stalks
    1 Tbl salt
    Place all the above in a large pot and bring to a boil.
    Reduce heat and simmer for 2 hrs.

I'll get the potato recipe and post later since I'm not sure of all the ingredients right off.

9. Hook N Book

Twister,
    What type and size casings did you use for your Sausage?
    The 32mm Collagen would be the best choice for smoking. Also, when you smoke them you want to keep the temp. really low...say between 120-130 degrees. Let them slow smoke for 2-3 hrs. at this temp. If you're going to eat them immediately raise the temp to above 180 degrees to cook thoroughly. Smoking this way is only meant to flavor and not completely cook. Otherwise, you can freeze them or store in the fridge for a couple of days.

10. I was affraid of that :p Soon as the temps rise in a few weeks hargus should be turning on!!! I do best there early spring when the water is high