close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

CAG Ohio Lake Erie Regional Carp-In: East Harbor State Park April 8-10

Discussion in 'Carp Discussions' started by tpet96, Mar 6, 2005.

1. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

CAG Ohio Lake Erie-NW Season Opener
    East Harbor State Park
    Port Clinton, Ohio

DATES: 3PM April 8 til NOON April 10, 2004

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Check this link for East Harbor Information
    Here's an overhead view to give you an idea of the layout.
    Visit This Link for Photos of the Venue Areas (Courtesy of "Buckeye" Bob Bernowski from 2002)
    Click This Link for Ohio Fishing Regulations. 3 Day NonResident fishing license is $15, and can be purchased at local bait shops. If you are planning to attend from out of state, drop me an email at tpet96@columbus.rr.com and I'll give you directions to the nearest shop.
    Here is a map of where we will be fishing

I will post directions to our fishing location at the rangers station at the entrance to the park. The directions will be placed on their bulletin board. If you are in doubt when arriving, call me, Shawn, at Cell: (419) 512-6644

Listing of Motels in Area:

Super 8 Motel Port Clinton
    1704 Perry St., State Route 2 to State Route 163 West
    Port Clinton OH
    US Tel: 419-734-4446
    Reservation: 1-800-800-8000
    FAX: 419-734-4446

$38.70-$90 per night, depending on choice of rooms.

Directions:North SR 53 South to SR 163 W to E Perry St. Hotel is on the leftSouth SR 53 North to Rt 2 East to Rt 163 (Port Clinton/Catawba Island Exit) Travel west on Rt 163, hotel is 1/2 mile on the left.East SR 2 West to Rt 163 West (Port Clinton/Catawba Island Exit) Travel West on 163, hotel is on the left.West I 80/90 East to Exit 91/6 (Port Clinton). Travel SR 53 Norht to Rt 2 East to the Port Clinton/Catawba Island Exit. Then travel east on 163. Hotel is 1/2 mile on right.Airport - Cleveland Take 480 West to 80-90 West to Exit 91/6. Then take SR 53 North to Rt 2 East to the Port Clinton/ Catawba Island Exit) Travel east on 163, hotel is on the left.

Best Western Port Clinton
    1734 East Perry Street
    Port Clinton OH
    US Tel: (419)734-2274
    Reservation: US/Canada toll free 800-780-7234
    FAX: 419-734-2274

$34.50-$98.00 per night, depending on choice of rooms.

Fairfield Inn by Marriott Port Clinton Ohio
    3760 East State Road
    Port Clinton OH
    US Tel: 419-732-2434
    Reservation: 1-800-228-2800

$50-$94.00 per night, depending on choice of rooms.

Directions:the Ohio Turnpike: Take exit 6 for Route 53 North * Travel north on Route 53 for approximately seventeen miles to Route 2 East * Proceed east on Route 2 to the exit for Route 53 North: Hotel is on the right just off the exit

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites
    PORT CLINTON-CATAWBA ISLAND
    50 N.E. Catawba Road
    Port Clinton OH
    US Tel: 1-419-7327322
    Reservation: 1-419-7327322
    FAX: 1-419-7321919

$42.50-$80.00 per night, depending on choice of rooms.

A good place to book a room online is at http://www.worldweb.com Just do a search for Port Clinton, Ohio. You will get pretty good prices there (the quotes I gave you are from there). You might try http://www.priceline.com for Port Clinton Ohio. Sometimes Priceline gives GREAT rates (like 20 bucks/night...you name your price, and if the accept, you are booked). Only problem with that is if you book, you are stuck with it. No cancelling. At least with WorldWeb you can cancel.

If you're interested in camping, rates are as follows: Non Electric- $16/night, Electric- $21-25/night. Feel free to conserve plots and share tents. For more information, call camp office at (419) 734-5857. There shouldn't be any problem getting a camp plot this early in the season.

Driving Directions:

From Cleveland, Ohio: Take State Route 2 West to State Route 269 North. Park is located on State Route 269.
    From Columbus, Ohio: Take State Route 23 to State Route 4. Go North on State Route 4 to State Route 2. Go West on State Route 2 to to State Route 269 North. Park is located on State Route 269.
    From Cincinnati, Ohio: Take Route 75 North to S.R. 12 (at Findlay), go North/Northeast on S.R. 12 to S.R. 53 (at Fremont), North on S.R. 53 to S.R. 2, go east on S.R. 2 to S.R. 269 North. Park is located on State Route 269.
    From Toledo, Ohio: Take S.R. 2 to S.R. 269 North. Park is located on State Route 269.
    From Port Clinton, Ohio: Go East on S.R. 163 to S.R. 269 North. Park is located on State Route 269.

IF YOU HAVE ANY PROBLEMS OR QUESTIONS ON HOW TO GET THERE, GIVE ME A RING ON MY CELL AT 419-512-6644. We will guide you in the rest of the way!

Night fishing is authorized, and brolly type shelters are permitted as long as:

1.) NO camping gear allowed in the brolly's (Heaters, Sleeping bags, etc. Lanterns and flashlights are permitted, and highly recommended)
    2.) 1 side has to be completely open. No Bivvy's that are closed up.
    3.) Absolutely NO sleeping while on that bank. According to them.......if you are sleeping then you are not fishing, but camping on the bank rather. And that is not permitted. You will be asked to leave, by the rangers, if you sleep on that bank.

Not my rules guys.....I just have to pass the info on to you...and try to abide by them. Thanks! Depending on camping areas, you may have a 100 yard walk to the fishing area. Be prepared to haul your gear if this is necessary. Fish up to 25-30lbs are common this time of year in this area. This is a inlet bay of Lake Erie.

If you have any questions or are interested in attending please... email me at tpet96@columbus.rr.com or contact me via cellphone at (419) 512-6644. If you can only attend for one day; that's fine.

SEE YOU ON THE BANK......

PS: Gang.....this is about 2 weeks earlier than in years past. Some wanted it earlier, some wanted it later. Last year, we had a cold spring. 2 weeks before the event, we were landing many fish in the 20 range. The netters were not out working then either. TONS of fish in the area. The later you wait......the more you have to deal with the netters. It will be chilly at night, but as long as the winds don't blow the water out of the harbor, we should be good to go.

2. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Also, we will be having a cookout bankside on that Saturday, April 9 at 2:30 PM. If you wish to contribute to the cookout, please post here what you would like to bring, or email me at tpet96@columbus.rr.com and I will keep an updated list.

3. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

you guys are more than welcome to use my cart to haul your stuff..
    i'll try to whip up something to munch on late at night again.. not sure just yet tho.. i promise, no shrimp this time.. :p

4. Thanks AK, I'm still picking those shrimp shells out of my teeth. LOL

5. crappielooker

Phil.. No soup for you!!.. :p those shells give you extra calcium.. and idodine :D
    i'm thinkin along the line of gumbo.. :rolleyes: BAAAM!! :D

6. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

:D Where do I sign? :D

7. let me use your cart...lol....you know i travel lite.....hahahaha

8. crappielooker

brian..i know how light you travel dood..5 trips oughtta do it... :D

9. Carp Chaser

Carp Chaser Looking For a 30

Ak,

Really don't need your cart.... But could I just get YOU to pack my gear for me ?? :D :p ;)

10. TimJC

TimJC Carp Angler

and bring the boat :D

11. crappielooker

john..how about unpacking them?? u want me to set it all up, baited and cast out too?? :p hehe.. i know u'll use my cart.. :p
    tim..the boat?? :D i prefer to call it the chummin machine :D

12. TimJC

TimJC Carp Angler

Ak, do you have the trolling motor mount for it yet?

13. crappielooker

not right at the moment..

14. catking

catking Banned

I won't know if I'm heading up there or not until a few days before the event. Hopefully I will. I have a new bait that I've seen nobody use and I have been working on it all winter ;) It releases a clouded scent very slowly , and I have multi colors........ I've tested them a few times and they work GREAT in water.......... We will see............ :cool: ..THE CARPKING !!!

15. The way this weather is going hope you guys don't need ice augers to fish. :mad: Good luck .

16. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

I would hope so King.......actually, that might be the explanation why you never catch anything. The fish ARE in the water :D

17. crappielooker

ok guys..according to long term forecast.. the last few days of this month leading into april will be in our favor.. several days of 50s and even some 60s going into the first few days of april.. this is the same pattern as last year when me and shawn went up there and hauled fish including his 20s somethin.. i'm keeping my fingers cross about the netters.. hope they aren't as dedicated as we are.. :)

18. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Should be ready to rock and roll Ak. Looking forward to it.

19. catking

catking Banned

That was rather a stupid thing to say about the water......... :D .....Thanks for catching that Shawn........... :rolleyes: ................................. :p

20. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Hey guys, ive heard that the "pay to park" bill passed, so do we need to pay to enter the East Harbor state park?

Scott