Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Carp Angler
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured i would post my first thread on the site, And share my experiences with Carp at Caeser Creek, This morning i decided to hit the lake early around 6am, I am fishing near the Pioneer Village Near Lunkins Rd, The area is pretty grown over with Lilly Pads

As seen here...

But i still had something to work with.

I Baited up using just Corn today on a #6 barbless hook below a simple Carolina style catfish rig, I tend to not use steel leaders, But this place has a unreal amount of down trees.

About one hour in i had my first run, Hooked up with it, Drug me under a tree and snagged me up, I had a glimpse of hope he would get himself out of it, and he did!, He headed straight for the pads but i got him to the shore instead.

Put up a fight like usual, Had hooked him in a strange area and didn't feel like leaving him out of water any longer to get weighed.

about 15 minutes later i had another big run, This one made it to the Lilly pads before i could set the hook, After dragging him out of them and getting him to shore, This one was bigger than the last one

And had numerous more runs, But couldn't get hooked up all in all, i had a great day, These are not the biggest carp I have caught at CC, But it was a great day only 3 hours worth of fishing and three fun size carp and many runs, I recommend this lake to anyone looking for a fun day of carping.

Another one my buddy landed

Good Fishing

·
Carp Angler
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome post! Been wanting to try CC for carp for a long time now. I wanna hook into one of the big buffalo they have in there too!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
I know there is some really, really big carp in CC. I go quite often, And always catch fish, Most people in the part i was fishing, crappie / white bass / fish, so i know the carp aren't fished there often.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I've been wanting to spend some time carping at CC but haven't had a chance yet. Glad to hear there's someone who targets them regularly out of there. Any idea what your biggest has been?

·
Carp Angler
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been wanting to spend some time carping at CC but haven't had a chance yet. Glad to hear there's someone who targets them regularly out of there. Any idea what your biggest has been?
28.3 lbs, was on strawberry pack bait with a hair rig.

·
Carp Angler
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How did you catch it on just pack bait? Did you use it like a dough bait sort of deal? I thought and use pack bait like a ground bait.

Corn on hook, with hair rig bead tied to hook, than pack the bait around the hook in palm of hand like a dough ball, than after 5mins or so it will fall apart exposing corn and bead

·
Slayin' and filletin'
1,985 Posts
... than pack the bait around the hook in palm of hand like a dough ball, than after 5mins or so it will fall apart exposing corn and bead
I don't fish for carp but want to know why you pack bait on the hook knowing it's going to fall off later. Is it an attractant?

CC is a good place for carp, there are a lot of shallows where you can sight cast to them.

·
251 Posts
I don't fish for carp but want to know why you pack bait on the hook knowing it's going to fall off later. Is it an attractant?

CC is a good place for carp, there are a lot of shallows where you can sight cast to them.
That's actually exactly why we do it. Pack bait is meant to break down over an amount of time depending on the consistency of your mix and how hard you pack it around your hook bait or lead. Once broken down, your hook should be sitting on a bed of Carpy goodness that they should've either smelled or came in to investigate from the activity from smaller fish checking out the bait.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts