Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good Afternoon,

I've been trying to catch bass, crappie, and muskie throughout the summer at various areas around the lake.

For the Bass, I've tried white, red, and green buzz baits in the early morning and late evening. I've tried finesse worms on various rigs and just about every general style and color of crank bait. I got a few spotted & white bass early spring/fall and that was about it.

For the Crappie (including Bluegill), I've been very satisfied early spring on these black/white jigs from BassPro. Also had a few catches on smaller crank baits.

For the Muskie, still living a dream. Been throwing a large orange/black spinner and larger cranks.

I'll take weedhopper status for sure but there has to be a way catch some fish during the summer months. I'd really like to catch Walter. :) I'll keep on trying different baits and techniques but any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

·
Registered
210 Posts
It sounds like you have the equipment and some know how. I would suggest that you try live bait during the dog days. There are so many bait fish in the water they are every where and the fish have their belly's full of shad.
They would like to see something different like a big fat juicy night crawler.You can put a small eagle #6 hook with two #7 pss split shots and you are ready to roll. Just cast out and work back close to the boat. The eyes like to take it right along side of your boat. The humps and points are good and if they have structure they are better. You will attract a lot of different types of fish and maybe get you a big one. Good luck

If you don't like live bait suck it up and try it. Insanity is when you keep doing the same thing and expect different results.

·
Registered
141 Posts
cc is a tough lake to fish. crappies are just starting to hit plastic but you need to tip it with a minnow. forget plastic only. minnows have been the bait for the last month. find a flat and deep water. north of the island, north of 73 is a perfect example. drift across the flat with minnows 18 inches off the bottom. best is early in the morning or late in the evening, when the crappie come in from the deep to eat the shad, which are plentiful. do not sit still, drift or move the boat slowly. crappie are used to hitting a moving bait. hope this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys - insanity is around the corner. I'll definitely give this stuff a shot!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts