Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a few months back I promised my nephew that I would try to get him out for an all night catfishing trip on the boat. Well the stars and our schedules finally aligned and he did not have school today due to a teacher conference day… So yesterday I called his parents And asked if I could pick him up at 4 PM to teach him how to catfish last night. We put in at the north pool ramp by 5pm, armed with a small tub of wax worms and started the first part of our mission, catching the bait...
Water Smile Shorts Outdoor recreation Plant

I taught him everything I could about locating bluegills and fishing docks, rock piles, brush… He caught on quick And got to work.
After we filled the live well with a dozen or so good gills ranging in size from 3" to 7" we headed for the main lake… There was a few drop offs that I knew about that I have had good luck with channel cats In previous years So we headed in that direction…we had the boat set and anchored in position by 7 PM… the next part of the mission was to have a couple good ham sandwiches that I packed for dinner…
Water Sky Food Watercraft Boat

After dinner we set the rods and I taught him some basics of casting and setting a hook with a bait caster……
Water Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Sky Lake Outdoor recreation

We cut up a few gills, using their heads, the bodies, and one live gill on the last rod...Now we wait…
Right at dusk we got one good Run of the clicker and hooked up… But the fish got wrapped in a log or a stump and broke off about midway through the battle… We were both disappointed but we quickly re-rigged and continued on with the mission. I taught him the basics of fishing knots, weights, leaders, and hook sizes... he caught on quickly and rigged up the rod and we were back in the water… we Had a few more short runs but basically the rest of the night was silent…....Until 3 AM…

We both woke up to a clicker screaming so loudly and fast that I swear I think smoke was going to come out of that reel if it continued!… Like any good angler with a kid would do… i picked up the rod and set the hook and passed it over to the kid…The fight was on… it Took roughly 5 to 8 minutes… And I made a good scoop with the net and got the fish in the boat… The kids eyes were as big as the moon and he was shaking like a leaf (and to be honest I have to admit I was a little shaky myself ) His first cat was a 15 pound channel!
Head Smile Shorts Alligator Crocodile

we basically hugged and high-fived and hooted and hollered for a good five minutes after that… I've personally never caught one this size out of Caesars…
I asked him how he felt and before I could get my sentence out he was rebating and cutting another gill to get the rods back out! We did just that and never had another bite… Until 6 AM… had I known what was about to happen, I would've brought a clean pair of shorts for myself to change into ) We were both sitting there having orange juice and donuts for breakfast when another clicker screamed as loud as it could… Same process, only this time I let HIM set the hook... I knew this was a big fish when he set the hook and the rod yanked back down and nearly broke against the rod holder… The fight was on… It took him nearly 30 minutes… And he got this thing to the boat and I about crapped my pants... measuring at 47" and every last bit of 25 pounds...I have thoroughly and completely spoiled this kid for his first real cat fishing trip...
Cloud Sky Shorts Vertebrate Happy

.... I told him the importance of catch and release on big fish… We let this big girl go… And then I taught him how to correctly wipe the slime off on his shirt… And pick his doughnut back up and finish it…Welcome to manhood kiddo…

Mission accomplished

·
Registered
540 Posts
So a few months back I promised my nephew that I would try to get him out for an all night catfishing trip on the boat. Well the stars and our schedules finally aligned and he did not have school today due to a teacher conference day… So yesterday I called his parents And asked if I could pick him up at 4 PM to teach him how to catfish last night. We put in at the north pool ramp by 5pm, armed with a small tub of wax worms and started the first part of our mission, catching the bait... View attachment 475865
I taught him everything I could about locating bluegills and fishing docks, rock piles, brush… He caught on quick And got to work.
After we filled the live well with a dozen or so good gills ranging in size from 3" to 7" we headed for the main lake… There was a few drop offs that I knew about that I have had good luck with channel cats In previous years So we headed in that direction…we had the boat set and anchored in position by 7 PM… the next part of the mission was to have a couple good ham sandwiches that I packed for dinner… View attachment 475866
After dinner we set the rods and I taught him some basics of casting and setting a hook with a bait caster…… View attachment 475867
We cut up a few gills, using their heads, the bodies, and one live gill on the last rod...Now we wait…
Right at dusk we got one good Run of the clicker and hooked up… But the fish got wrapped in a log or a stump and broke off about midway through the battle… We were both disappointed but we quickly re-rigged and continued on with the mission. I taught him the basics of fishing knots, weights, leaders, and hook sizes... he caught on quickly and rigged up the rod and we were back in the water… we Had a few more short runs but basically the rest of the night was silent…....Until 3 AM…

We both woke up to a clicker screaming so loudly and fast that I swear I think smoke was going to come out of that reel if it continued!… Like any good angler with a kid would do… i picked up the rod and set the hook and passed it over to the kid…The fight was on… it Took roughly 5 to 8 minutes… And I made a good scoop with the net and got the fish in the boat… The kids eyes were as big as the moon and he was shaking like a leaf (and to be honest I have to admit I was a little shaky myself ) His first cat was a 15 pound channel!
View attachment 475868
we basically hugged and high-fived and hooted and hollered for a good five minutes after that… I've personally never caught one this size out of Caesars…
I asked him how he felt and before I could get my sentence out he was rebating and cutting another gill to get the rods back out! We did just that and never had another bite… Until 6 AM… had I known what was about to happen, I would've brought a clean pair of shorts for myself to change into ) We were both sitting there having orange juice and donuts for breakfast when another clicker screamed as loud as it could… Same process, only this time I let HIM set the hook... I knew this was a big fish when he set the hook and the rod yanked back down and nearly broke against the rod holder… The fight was on… It took him nearly 30 minutes… And he got this thing to the boat and I about crapped my pants... measuring at 47" and every last bit of 25 pounds...I have thoroughly and completely spoiled this kid for his first real cat fishing trip... View attachment 475869
.... I told him the importance of catch and release on big fish… We let this big girl go… And then I taught him how to correctly wipe the slime off on his shirt… And pick his doughnut back up and finish it…Welcome to manhood kiddo…

Mission accomplished
Great trip, great story, smile bigger than the fish! I'd say you hooked him for life as a CATTER. You took me back thirty-some years with Young Whiskers. Congrats on a very good trip for both of you.

Reactions: 9Left

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
That is a great night. Kudos to both of you. Did you weigh that flathead? A 47" flathead should weigh more than 25 pounds.

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
That is a great night. Kudos to both of you. Did you weigh that flathead? A 47" flathead should weigh more than 25 pounds.
Man I have no idea about the growth rate… But we did stretch a tape across it and it was 47 inches on the dot… Now the scale… LOL… That was a very cheap plastic bass pro scale that an 11 year old kid had in his tackle bag… So it very well could have weighed more than that....I do know that when I lifted it over the boat in the net, I was worried about straining certain muscles… LOL

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Southernsnaug....Thank you so much for bringing that up… I did check growth rate scales in Ohio… That fish was probably well over 30 pounds… I appreciate you bringing that information to light

·
Registered
473 Posts
I agree, that fish had to be in the mid to high 30's at 47". That one picture is worth a thousand words. He will remember that trip for the rest of his life. One question, cut bait or live?
Slip

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I agree, that fish had to be in the mid to high 30's at 47". That one picture is worth a thousand words. He will remember that trip for the rest of his life. One question, cut bait or live?
Slip
We did put a 6" gill On one of the rods all night… Never got touched…But both of these fish, the channel and the Flatty, came on about a 2 in.² piece of cut Bluegill

·
Eat Em Up Charters
3,616 Posts
Awesome job Carl! Was cool getting that text from you this morning with those pictures...nothing like making a guy jealous while he is at work 🤣 I would agree that at 47" that fish is over 30 pounds. Regardless of the weight though that will be a memory you and him will both remember for the rest of your lives.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I handled a lot of flatheads in my day and that fish is pushing 40 pounds, a lifetime catch for your nephew. My guess is 35-38 lbs. It's a bit thin or it would be over 40. I caught two that were 44 & 42 pounds and both of them were in that 45-47" range, but they were both fat tubs. Either way, he has braggin rights for sure

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I handled a lot of flatheads in my day and that fish is pushing 40 pounds, a lifetime catch for your nephew. My guess is 35-38 lbs. It's a bit thin or it would be over 40. I caught two that were 44 & 42 pounds and both of them were in that 45-47" range, but they were both fat tubs. Either way, he has braggin rights for sure
Gotcha... thanks southernsnaug... actually after Hearing what you have to say and talking with some other reliable cat resources on the phone last night (Salmonid)...I'm beginning to think that in all the excitement, I missread that tape and it probably said 37" and not 47…. I appreciate your guys experience And thoughts on that.

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well OK then… I forgot that I had laid that catfish on the back deck of the boat to take a picture...
Water Sky Lake Vehicle Boat

I zoomed in and found some small stains on the carpet and used that hatch on the left side as a reference… Even as a rough reference,I measured the distance… And it measured out to 38" this morning so honestly i think It was a case of excitement and adrenaline and I miss read that tape… Either way… It's a fish of a lifetime for me or the kid! But Really... much appreciate people that gave me there Experiences on the growth rates…Good luck everybody and thanks again!!

·
CJ Wolfpack
473 Posts
What ever it measured it was still a great fish Carl,glad you guys did good. Now you need to get him out on the ice with us.

Reactions: 9Left

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Woe, what the heck, an honest fisherman. Dude your supposed to swear it weighed XX pounds. (just having fun) Whatever it weighed the young man done well and it's a braggin fish. Looking at the picture it's still close to 30. To top it off it's still swimming around. I thought of your nephew yesterday. I was trolling and my right rod went off, screaming. Soon as I picked it up I knew the slow methodical pulse and deep runs. It was about a 10-12 pounder. It went back in the lake too.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts