close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cable steering

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by fishkiller, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Anyone have any experience with no feedback cable steering? Want to replace
    my helm & cable rotary helm. Wondering if helm is same size & how trouble
    free it is? Use boat trolling & duck hunting need it to handle cold weather.

2. not sure what you have... if its and older boat with the coated cables i san help...did a few and there not bad to do...got any pics of the system???

3. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

not sure what your boat is or your budget. i replaced my cable with hydraulic this last spring. it was pretty easy.

4. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

Go to www.surplusunlimited.com and check their pricing on the Teleflex NFB systems. Depending on the size of your outboard you'll probably spend about $175. You'll need to give them the cable length when you order.
    As far as size, the NFBhelm is is bigger than a typical non-NFB helm due to the brake components. Look at the pictures on the web to see the difference. The NFB helm wis about 6" longer and a little heavier. It'll use the same cable as the regular helms but why re-use an old cable? Buy the whole kit and start new. My boat would wear you out running it due to the torque but the NFB system I installed eliminated that problem. I can actually let go ofr the wheel now and it doesn't move an inch. Very nice when you are running several miles at a time.

UFM82

5. The reason I am interested in the nfb steering is for trolling. I have a small
    motor 50hp but need to keep things going straight when netting fish. I also
    need something to work well in cold weather.
    Thanks for the replys