close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

cabin fever for shore anglers?

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by castmaster00, Oct 29, 2008.

1. castmaster00

castmaster00 very avid fisherman

is it time to develop cabin fever for the average shore anglers again?

2. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

NO, get out and cast husky jerks off breakwalls, piers, points, water discharges and dams for walleye.

3. you ever fish the ohio river dams? theres lots of fish there. all yr.

4. castmaster00

i live in akron and i got no wheels.:p

5. castmaster00

where should i do this cause i cant get a ride to erie.

6. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

doesnt have to be erie, any body of water with walleye swimming in it will be good this time of year from shore. look for rocks, points, bridge supports dams, anything that will interupt the flow of any current. if you see baitfish thats one spot to stop and cast a few times. walleye this time of the year are feeding heavily just trying to fatten up for the winter.

7. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

just the opposite, this is the best time of the year for shore anglers. steelhead and walleye.

8. castmaster00

i have been itchin to get a hook into both of those. is there a place near akron that has the "steel" in it?

9. Cast - can you get to the Cuyahoga? I know the lack of transportation is a killer, but there's good fishing in that river. I've just recently caught the river fever, but IMO it beats the heck out of shore fishing from lakes this time of year. Plus you can't beat the scenery (provided you can find a litter-free stretch of river).

You could hook a pike out of the Hoga, but that's usually more luck than skill, but the smallies are still hitting in the holes.

I think any of the more veteran river guys will tell you it's addicting. This is my first fall consistently hitting the river, but I'm completely hooked.

Fishing's never done for me until the ice rolls in. God bless ye merry ice fishermen, but that's not for me.

10. castmaster00

true that man it be too scary for me. i dont know how thick the ice is.

11. jay2k

jay2k Inch short

If you have not gone ice fishing yet, DON'T!! You will only become hooked for life and spend countless dollars on stuff you can only use 2 or if your lucky 3 months a year. You will slowly start growing steel buttcheeks that can withstand subzero temps for hours on end and develop blurred vision from staring at your flasher all day. I started icefishing around your age and loved it ever since. Its the only time a shore angler can have the whole lake or pond to investigate and fish. Don't give up on shore fishing just yet either. Plenty of fish can still be had!

12. castmaster00

went to springfield lake today for some late fall eyes. and i got skunked. anyone know where they are and how to get them?

13. cast - did you drop out of school?

I didn't know springfield lake even held walleye.... news to me

14. For the record, that question wasn't in reference to the walleye - I was asking castmaster if he left school because he finds a lot of time to fish when others in the community are in class. I didn't intend for it to be taken in a joking or derrogatory fashion. If that's how it came across, I apologize.

15. DanAdelman

DanAdelman getting jigging with it

time for cabin fever?
    are you nuts its been 70 degrees the last few days...
    Its funny someone would skip out on some of the best fishing of the year...
    Amazing how many fair weather fisherman their are...
    steelhead, walleye, muskie, pike, Ny brown, etc.. are all hot
    I own a nice boat but have spent way more time on shore last few weeks...
    You are wrong wrong wrong...and the sooner you figure it out the more fish you will catch...
    Do you think the best fishing is in the middle of the summer?
    Not sure what kind of answer you were looking for?...Yup all done the fish just stop biting :eek:

16. Relax. He's 14. His transportation is limited and so are his options. Trust me, this kid hasn't given up on the fish, he's just always looking for advice from the older guys on where he can find him.

Little help for you. His "home" lake is springfield and he can't drive yet. Where is he going to find anything you mentioned near springfield lake?

17. castmaster00

thnx jc. nice to hear people still understand my dilemma, while being older than i am and more proveledged.thnx

18. DanAdelman

DanAdelman getting jigging with it

near springfield...
    you could do the tusc... Pike would be on in this weather...
    never fished it but I do know it is close if not walking distance from there...
    Sorry for the aggressive attitude I just hear to much crap from buddies of mine that its to cold out and I am just bitter because I can't get any of them out fishing with me...
    I wish I would have had this site at 14 We spent way to many days fishing local ponds because I didn't know anywhere else to go...No one in my family was a fisherman and I was offered no advice on fishing numerous areas that were 15 mins from my home...If I knew then about fishing what I knew now....I guess my only option is to teach my kids and others...

19. castmaster00

its okay man don t worry about it. i am having the same problem and now my dad confinscated my browning medium spinning rod and i cant cast very far without it. i can cast about 60ft with my medium rod and about 45 with my medium light. he didnt want me using it cause he thought i would break it. honestly if i am using an expensive piece of equipment i am going to treat it like its gold. he just doesnt understand.