cabellas brunswick

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sauguy, Dec 12, 2007.

1. sauguy

sauguy river & muskie angler, dayhiker

according to todays plain dealer, the cabelas deal in brunswick is close to becoming a reality. cross your fingers and hope they do not bail out like bass pro did in akron.

2. I wonder if Cabellas plans had an impact on the bass pro decision? I thought the Cabellas deal was for Lodi (I71 & 224/76). Where are they talking about puttin it in Brinswick?

3. sauguy

sauguy river & muskie angler, dayhiker

I-71 and 303, southeast part.

4. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

5. K gonefishin

K gonefishin Bit by Musky bug

6. snake69

snake69 Equal opportunity fishing

Boy, that could spell trouble in this house! This spring we went to the one in WVA and I spent over $1300, of course that included the Lowrance 522, but to know it's only about 45 minutes away.........OH YEAH!!! Took the kids, they love the place...alot for them to see. Sure do hope this becomes a reality!

7. Alwsfishin

Alwsfishin '73 24' Stamas

10 minutes.....Dinner and a movie? Hell no....dinner and Cabelas! Lmao.....

8. We're doing a story on it today... WKYC...

9. For some reason, they interviewed me for the story... I tried to weasel out of it, but they wanted my "outdoors expertise"... HA!!

I MUCH prefer behind the scenes....;)

10. K gonefishin

Must have been really tough holding the camera and getting interviewed at the same time :D
    :confused:

11. I've actually done that once using a tripod and a BIG mirror...:)

12. snake69

snake69 Equal opportunity fishing

I work afternoons so I missed it. How'd it go? Does it look like it'll be a go? Say yes, say yes.....:D

13. It sounds like this story has made the news so it may have more substance than the latest rumor for the Delaware location. I had posted on that one a few weeks ago and even said at the time that it was a rumor but the guy that told me supposedly had spoken to the building inspector assigned to the project. So who knows on that one. Hopefully one of these comes to fruition as it will give many Ohio folks a much closer option than Wheeling and Dundee.

14. You looked great on the big screen Big Daddy. I liked that brand new OGF shirt. You should auction that off, autographed!

Way to go!

15. Here's the link to the story...

http://www.wkyc.com/outdoors/news_article.aspx?storyid=79754

The only concern, which I talked about in the interview, but they didn't use, was the potential damage to the small outdoors-business owner. But, most of them have a good, loyal customer base and can offer something the megastores can't. Good, personal customer service.

If it does materialize, I'll shop there from time to time, but I'll still frequent my local bait and tackle shops as well. I think Gander Mountain and Dick's would sweat them coming in more than, for example, Rodmaker's or Den's...

Tim, if you think I looked great on teh tube, there must be something wrong with your TV!!!

16. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

They do amazing things with TV now a days. :p

17. Wannabitawerm

Wannabitawerm Flatulent Entreprenuer

I agree with your concerns Carl, but I also agree with your logic. I'm not gonna run to Cabela's for bait before I go fishin'. That place would be a fun place to spend a few hours on a lazy winter day. (As long as we're not ice fishin'!)

18. funnyman

funnyman RUSerious?

I've been to Cabela's in Dundee, MI. It's great....great for that location because they have easy access from the freeway, but a really bad idea for Brunswick, OH where you can't get in and out of town, now!!!!!!

Traffic flow in Brunswick is atrocious, practically non-existent during rush-hours. If Cabela's comes to town, there will be no flow at all! Not to mention that there is only access between I71 and I271 in one direction because the "authorities" will refuse to build the badly needed by-pass for the other direction. Therefore, every local road will have increased traffic as half of the estimated 3-3.5 million visitors won't be able to access Cabela's from the freeways!

By the way, I'd like to know where they got that $100-$150 expenditure by every visitor. That is a huge exaggeration at best!

Brunswick is out of control. The foolish city fathers who court this deal are already crying that they need more police because they can't handle the extra crime at Home Depot! They courted Home Depot because Home Depot "wined & dined" them! All Brunswick got was a wimpy, scaled-down version of Home Depot, not the full-version. Every time I go there, they tell me that they don't have what I want, but the Medina store does. I'm fed up with the store that tells me I have to go somewhere else to get what I want. Additionally, the shopping center construction caused drainage problems in several areas which have not yet been resolved. The city has not covered the damage from that deal, and their answer is to increase city taxes!

Unless Cabela's gets no tax breaks, unless they build their own freeway access, or unless they build near the I71 & I271 interchange and build the by-pass, this will be a disaster for the local residents, and not just for Brunswick! The baggage that comes with this deal will NOT be handled by the 600 service jobs at $7-8.00/hr!

This will be a disaster for everybody, except the developers! The Jacobs brothers have done enough damage as they move south from Cleveland. This deal needs major changes at Cabela's expense, not the expense of the locals, or it needs to be killed before it kills Brunswick.

I don't live in Brunswick, nor do I work there, and this is a bad deal for me. Brunswick residents had better wake up and remember the history. If they think the shopping center with Home Depot was a bad deal, if they think their increased taxes is a bad deal, if they think the drainage problems are a bad deal, etc., if they think their city fathers don't know what they are doing, they had better stand up and do something about the Cabela's deal because the Cabela's deal will be a hundred times worse!

19. K gonefishin

I agree, I buy all my "good" tackle from the small shops, dave's, rodmakers, erie outfitters, I support the guys we know and the biggest reason is selection, when I'm out looking or reef runner, blades, beads, spoons, flour, eggs, etc. The big box stores don't have the color selection or brands of the small guys, the shops around our neighborhood know exactly what colors to order etc. I would go to Cabelas to pick up some stuff but more for clothes and gear or big sale items. The little stores carry the niche products that we are all after, plus up the minute fishing and lake reports, Cabelas won't have nothing on that.

Funnyman, I would have to disagree on the amount spent by visitors, I think this number is a little low if anything, every person I know including myself that has traveled to a Cabelas went there for more than a couple of cranks and spoons, most people go there for big sales item, like model year close outs on gps/fishfinders and stuff like that, guns, rods, reels, etc. I don't think people would even make the trip to dundee or WV to buy a t-shirt of something when it can be sitting on your porch in a UPS box 2 days later. With the price of gas nowdays and most outdoor sportsman guys driving Truck and SUV's that would visit a Cabelas they are going there to drop some cash, why make the drive if you not? I for sure wouldn't spend 80-100 bucks getting there and back without coming home with a truck full of stuff.

when I went to the one in wheeling I spent 250, and that was all little stuff with no major purchases.

Disaster, I doubt it, it will have a huge economic development and will force the city into improving the area, it might be a little rocky at first but wait a year or two things will get better, they will have no choice.

20. funnyman

funnyman RUSerious?

Cabela's gets tax break in Medina County
    Posted by Terry Oblander May 31, 2007 11:29AM
    Categories: Breaking News
    Medina County Commissioners voted today to approve a sales tax break for a proposed Cabela's store near I-71 and Ohio 303 in Brunswick.

The company has said it intends to build a $50 million store there, but has not formally committed to the project.

If Cabela's sales reached $60 million a year, the store would get back $225,000 in sales taxes each year over 10 years.

Brunswick City Manager Robert Zienkowski said the city has already begun planning to make changes needed to accommodate a Cabela's store that could open in 2009. He said plans are being drafted to widen Ohio 303 (Center Road) and the beautify Ohio 42 (Pearl Road).

Zienkowski said Cabela's won't make a formal announcement on where it will locate until all legal and development issues are resolved.

Other communities that have made pitches for the store included Summit County, for land in Macedonia and Northfield Center Township, and Wadsworth, in southern Medina County.