Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got a flyer for Cabelas Father’s Day sale, with a Shimano Stradic for $150! Who could pass that up! Drove all the way to the nearest store today (my first chance) to take advantage of the deal and was informed that they sold out in the first hour on the first day. They said they won’t be getting any more in. I know people will call me a sore loser but I feel like if you are going to send out flyers for a 13 day sale then you should have stock. If they are just clearing out inventory to make way for a new product (which seems likely) then they should call it a clearance sale. It feels like bait and switch. Sorry just wanted to vent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, that's unfortunate for sure. I feel your vent. But...first come first served. Gotta jump quick. ;)
Yeahh if I wasn’t working on the first day I would have gone then. The prominent advertisement made it seem like it would last longer though. I didn’t NEED a reel but I’m still salty I missed the deal.

·
Banned
2,666 Posts
Push hard! Been there, just a bunch of BS. These type of sales are meant to generate revenue, not satisfy customers. Even stores that are closing have an ace in the hole,by the time prices hit 30% that's the breaking point. After that it's mostly picked over. A clearing house makes a bid on the items worth the cost. Gander Mountain did this, and also got the rod racks and displays. Damaged goods, sales items, theft, and loss are already figured into the business operations, the same with insurance. Some of your best deals come from the small business owners. To me,they are the ones that matter the most. They just can't afford to operate in the same market as the large chain's. Sorry if I got off topic.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Push hard! Been there, just a bunch of BS. These type of sales are meant to generate revenue, not satisfy customers. Even stores that are closing have an ace in the hole,by the time prices hit 30% that's the breaking point. After that it's mostly picked over. A clearing house makes a bid on the items worth the cost. Gander Mountain did this, and also got the rod racks and displays. Damaged goods, sales items, theft, and loss are already figured into the business operations, the same with insurance. Some of your best deals come from the small business owners. To me,they are the ones that matter the most. They just can't afford to operate in the same market as the large chain's. Sorry if I got off topic.
The impression I got honestly is that the store (West Chester) won’t be open much longer. Very picked over, almost no spinning reels at all, many empty shelves. Could be due to the pandemic but my guess is since the merger it’s no longer profitable to have both a BPS and a Cabelas so close together. I could be wrong and maybe it’s due to the pandemic (which is understandable) but it seemed woefully under stocked for a store undergoing a “big sale” let alone regular traffic.

·
Premium Member
2,372 Posts
I agree with the other guys, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.
Even if their closing that particular branch, there are many others and i'm sure they have comparable reels at the main warehouse.
Make enough noise and you may get a different reel for a great price.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I live 4 miles from Avon Cabelas so we try to capitalize on some of these sales and every stinking damned time they have nothing in stock or all odd ball sizes. This leads me that they advertise such bull$ht just to get rid of their clearance that they cant sell. They had a Bargain Cave for awhile but they got rid of it in the merging and dayum they sucked afterwards as they hide all these bargains all around the store so they make you hunt all around so you see everything when I don't feel like wasting my time for couple hours. Meh! Same as for Columbus Cabelas!

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Fins Feather and Fur has a lot more fishing and hunting gear and I go there more often.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Sorry fellas Johnny Morris isn’t giving anything away, since he took over Cabellas which was a great store with sales and deals IE Bargain Cave That has all vanished. It has become the new Wal-Mart of sporting goods, with his personal line of Red Head clothing. I have dealt with Bass Pro since 1976 when I opened a sporting goods store. They advertise a sale ten percent off and you can get that anytime on line. Johnny Moras is for Johnny Moras.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts