close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

C&R eye's on tip-up's

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by Blue Pike, Jan 10, 2005.

1. I have maybe 125 Gamakatsu Octopus circle hooks is sizes 4 to 10,
    gave them a try this past summer live baiting walleyes without much success.

Can’t get past the do not strike just, reel thing. When the slip bobber go’s down it’s time to cross their eyes. :)

Sometimes you can’t teach an old dog new tricks. :D

Now the hard water question. --- Has anyone used the circle hooks on tip-up?

I’m thinking they may be just the ticket for me. A lot of times I will get eye’s
    that are hooked very deep, and for the most part I don’t buy into the cut you line and let them go, they’ll be O.k. theory. --- I use size 8 or 10 trebles.

Don't keep the eye's, looking for 100 percent C&R.
    Get me into some nice perch, crappies, gills and it's catch and eat.

Need your views on this, will the circle hooks work? Thanks

2. we have alawys used the octopus hooks. I woouldnt see why they wouldnt work. You still have to set the hook, so whatever you use should work, but they are bigger so the eyes might spit em. Smaller is better for tip ups. We have done allot of tip-up fishing in MN, sleep on the ice and all that fun stuff!!!

3. Has anyone ever caught a walleye on Erie on a tip up? I used to haul 6-12 tip ups out with me very trip and set them up. Never had any luck with any type of livebait rigs. tried emerald shiners, big shiners, creekchubs, little jigs with spikes or wax worms. Haven't taken them out with me in probably 2 or more years

4. A buddy of mine uses circle hooks on his tip-ups. I have seen him deep hook a fish or two (didn't matter--they were going home anyway). I have also seen him miss fish on them (spitters).

As for me, I use #8-#12 treble hooks exclusively. I have hooked some deep (gills, gullet) and have missed/lost fish on them. Most of my 'eyes (and others) are hooked in the jaw without incident. I believe a lot of the hook location is due to the "mood" of the fish and the presentation of the bait as well as my attention to the process.

For instance, neutral to negative fish tend to be the light biters that get missed/lost or barely hooked in the tip of the snoot. The hot fish may take the same set deeply, but not necessarily into the gullet. Hot fish tend to trip the flag as they run with the bait locked in their jaws before engulfing it.

Paying attention to the tip-up also seems to be an important factor. My tip-ups lend themselves to bite detection, but I still keep an eye on even the apparently inactive sets. This is probably why most anglers hook fish deeply, especially with the commercial style tip-ups--they let the bait sit on bottom and the neutral/negative fish (all species) swallow the bait without tripping the flag.

Just like with open water presentations, sometimes the size of your bait (lure) needs to be larger or smaller based on fish response for maximum effectiveness and efficiency. Sometimes I use a different size hook to minimize damage to the fish (especially when culling "keepers"). I think smaller hooks may avoid unwanted tissue damage, but also at the risk of losing more fish. This is really no different than live bait rigging for 'eyes in open water. If you leave a minnow or crawler rig on the bottom and let the fish swim around too long, they usually swallow the bait deeply--or eat the bait and spit the hook!

5. Thanks for the contribution. ---- Think I’ll be giving he circles a try.

6. Circle hooks have been used by salt water long liners forever. These are basically trot lines except much longer. The fish swallows the bait then turns and swims away. The bait then pulls out of the stomach/gullet where it pivots in the corner of the mouth where the fish is hooked. The thing to remember when using circle hooks, and this is vital, is NOT to set the hook. When a fish takes the bait, simply apply steady, consistent pressure and then steadily, smoothly, hand over hand the fish to the hole AFTER allowing the fish enough time to turn and swallow the bait. The fish will then hook itself. Trying to set the hook will usually result in pulling the hook up the gullet/throat and out of the fishes mouth before the hook has a chance to pivot in the corner of the mouth, especially if the fish has not turned. If the fish has turned then odds are better but the best odds are with letting the fish hook itself with steady, consistent, pressure on the line. The whole point in the design of a circle hook is this pivoting motion which allows the fish to hook themselves when caught on an unattended long line.

There will be those who disagree but in a general sense I find tips to be counter productive after having used them for some time. I've found that hole hopping is at least just as productive without the hassle of tips. However, tips can be helpful if spread over a wide area. By wide I'm talkin' an area large enough to require a 4 wheeler and binoculars in order to tend the tips. This will enable one to nail down fish when fishing large areas of strange water. If I'm already on known spots then I prefer to cut a pile of holes and hole hop with typical jigging presentations.
    I think that tips have their best applications when fishing for northerns which usually aren't as numerous as 'eyes. Tips can then be used for saturating a weedline, cove mouth, or necked down areas within a cove, with baits as well as aid in nailing down specific spots.
    Circles work very well for northern also, however if catch and realease is not a concern then trebs/quick strike rigs may be somewhat easier to use especially if one is unaccustomed to circles.

7. I can't disagree with esox's sentiment that hole-hopping CAN be more effective in catching fish. Until it gets really cold outside and inside the shanty is the place to be (partly social, mind you), I still jump hole-to-hole within the area of my spread in order to maximize the catch. Now if I'm going to be married to a spot because of weather, angler density, water quality, fish density, then tip ups are like hole-hopping. I don't set tip-ups until/unless I'm going to sit a spell.

8. Ah yes, one can certainly see the merit in fishing from a warm shanty when it's umpteen degrees below freezing. All the while monitoring a spread of tips within sprintin' distance and maximizing the social scene by nursing some hot, buttered ru..er, ah, I mean bagels. Ah yes. Merit indeed. :)

9. ERIE ADDICT- never had any luck on erie with a tip up and have tried many times, as long as the pimples and rapalas keep working I'm just gonna leave the tip ups home.

10. Dance with who brung ya!