close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

C.J. Brown

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by amazing189, Mar 18, 2005.

1. amazing189

amazing189 Member

Hey all,
    Heading up to the inlaws Sat. in Tremont City. Was wondering if anyone could point me to a couple of decent bank spots to catfish. I'm not necessarily looking for anyone's private spots, but I'd like to catch something, anything. Is it reasonable to fish for cats there this time of year, or should I target another species? I've got a little frozen skip & can probably come up with some live suckers, minnows, etc. I've never fished this lake & would appreciate any help you could provide.
    Also, if there's anyone interested in stopping by while I'm there, I'd gladly share some bait & a few tales! :)
    Thanks,
    Danny

2. I Have Fished By Dock Area Several Times And Never Caught Anything Over 6 Inche Cats Or Bluegill. I Recommend Staying Away From There. Just An Opinion. Only Been There 3 Times Night Fishing While There Staying In A Cabin With Family.

3. amazing189

amazing189 Member

C'mon, fellas. This may be the only chance I get to wet a line if I get stuck going to the inlaws.... :(

4. monsterKAT11

monsterKAT11 Team Fatty

havn't been out all this winter, so i don't know what spots are good for this time of year but i know the north side of the lake holds cats especially, seems like cats are everywhere in that lake.

5. skipjack11

skipjack11 retread member

Temple Street in New Moorfield has a small parking area near where the creek empties into the lake. It is where the railroad passes over the creek. There is a parking lot on Rt.4 North of Rt.334. Follow the abandoned road back to the lake. There is a dirt or gravel road off of Grant road that leads to the East side near the North end of the lake. I haven't gone in off Grant Rd. in the last 20 years but I see people launch car toppers there and bank fish. Depending on lake level you may be able to wade out to the Islands with hip boots or waders. I have caught channel and carp at the spot off Rt.4 in the early Spring but be prepared for a 1/4 mile walk down the abandoned road.

6. Doctor

Doctor CJ Cat Attack Pack

Amazing189,

The North end is awesome this time of year, the ice just came off the lake last week, depending on my schedule I may go out in the boat for a couple of hours on Saturday send me a pm with a number that I can reach you at and I'll call you, Shad is the bait of choice for CJ most can be picked up in the marina with a cast net, if the weather is real lousy with high winds out of the south those fish will really turn on, seems when it's the worst out there the cats are the hungriest...........Doc

7. Hows it going fellas, was at Brown last week just killin some time tryin to pick up a few slabs from the bank after work, didnt catch anything but I know nothing about the lake this time of the year. I practically live on Brown in the summer ( walleye & whatever else bites ) but i'm pretty much lost when it comes to this time of the year. Any pointers you could give would be helpfull. Havent gotten the boat out yet this year, waiting on a good time to get some minor work done to it ( new electronics mounted ) I did just hear today that a friend of a friend has caught over 50 crappies two days in a row @ C.J. from his boat......... So I think I'll be jumpin on gettin that stuff doen real quick like. Well good luck fellas.

( never heard of catching or even trying for cats this early....... interesting ! )

zpyles_00

8. I stopped to check the ramp Sunday 3/20 and there were a couple guys putting in. Be careful, there is a large rock ( 2x the size of a bowling ball) about 12-15 ft. from the water edge below the surface in the launch path. There is room to put in to the side of it, but I thought I'd warn everybody anyway.

9. firecat

firecat Larry Lange

Like Dad said catfishing at the Brown can be absolutely awesome this time of the year if the conditions are right. South wind is best.

Larry

10. I am just amazed about this whole early season catfishing, I have never heard of catfishing this early in the year more less catching fish. When I think of catfishing I think of hot summer nights after a good rain on a sandbar or a muddy high current river. Just goes to show how people are raised different and how this site has helped me and im sure many others alot of new things.

I would be really interested in learning some of the techs on this such as baits, depths, structures, currents etc...... If some of you guys would mind sharing some tips, just enough to get me started I would really appreciate it. I love catfishing ! Would be nice to be able to have succes in more than the summer months.

Thanks & good luck !
    zpyles_00

11. Bass_Hawg

Bass_Hawg Certified Hawg Master

thanks to everyone for your input. It is greatly appreciated.

thats why I love this site. Ask a question and you always get answers.

Thanks again

12. firecat

firecat Larry Lange

Hey z Go to www.hookedoncatfish.com there is a pictorial article that Dad and I did about 2 Seasons ago where we just hammered the Channels out at the brown we could still see ice on the lake but the cats were just hammering our shad

Larry

13. Very impressive website ! It's very obvious you take your catfishing very seriously and that you love the sport and even more obvious than that.... you guys know your stuff ! Your very fortunate that your grandfather left you with such honorable knowledge of the sport. I now know who im going to turn to for my questions, i'll try not to be to pesty though LOL. Thank for the link firecat

14. firecat

firecat Larry Lange

That is my Dad's site I learned just about everything from my Dad and then in turn taught him a few things as well. It's amazing everytime I go fishing it's a learning experience especially fishing the rivers. What might have been red hot one day may be ice cold the next.

Larry

15. amazing189

amazing189 Member

Hey guys,
    Thanks for all of the input. I really appreciate it. My whole family got sick last weekend, so we had to reschedule our trip for this weekend. I've got to tell ya', I don't feel so bad about going to the inlaws now... :) Maybe I'll even talk my father-in-law into coming out with me.

Doctor....I'll pm you with my cel #, in case you're planning on being out Sat.

Thanks again guys!
    Danny