close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

c j brown bass

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by moose, May 25, 2004.

1. I've been fishing cj brown this year I just bought my first boat and need
    some help with what bait is good and is there any good locations on the lake
    to fish for bass.

Thanks moose

2. I have only fished the lake a few times but there is not a lot of cover. Most people throw a lot of crankbaits but many other thinfs work as well.

3. I rarely fish for bass, but I have caught bass while walleye/crappie fishing on the north west side of the lake. In the area just north of the public shore access. There is some cover - brush piles, etc.. I've also caught a few on the north east side, in the area by the cabins. Last year we caught many white bass in this area.

CJ isn't known as a good lm bass lake, but there are some big bass in there. A few years ago while trolling for walleye with a freind I caught a 22'' lm bass. It was the wrong time of year for weight, but it was a great fish. That fish could be a 26'' now :)

4. Is there true walleyes in there or saugeyes, or both? I have never fished it but was by there last week with my dad taking some fish breading to a bait shop. I didnt know it was such a big lake. Isnt there a lot of white bass in there? I thought i read something about there being too many w/b and they were trying to get rid of some of them.

5. True Walleyes only :)

CJ does have a good population of white bass. In fact, I always tell everybody CJ has the best white bass fishing for size in SW Ohio. Most we catch are 1lb or better, with many in the 2lb range. We did catch a bunch of small ones last year on top water while they were busting shad. We usually catch the white bass while trolling.

6. fshman_165

fshman_165 CJ Eye Hunter

CJ has a good bass population, the problem is that cj is structure deficient
    compared to other lakes. This does push bass out to hold in open water at times, or to relate to a small hump or bottom variation on a flat or along the exstensive rip rap areas. It is a lake that has a growing smallmouth population.
    Every year larger and larger smallies are more frequently caught. There is a wednesday night weekly bass tournament held there, that would be a great way to learn the spots or network with other bass guys and gals. I am usually fishing for the eyes while the bass guys blast around on wednesday night.
    I do not have any names or numbers for the bass tourney but I will find out and post em!

7. Gobi Muncher

Gobi Muncher mmmm.....tasty!

I don't know any of their names yet, but I talked with a few of the tourney guys last night. They start their tournament at 5:30 and go until 9, so everyone tries to be there around 5 and put in around 5:15. They meet in the parking lot, you can't miss it with all the bass boats sitting there. It is $10 bucks per man, 100% payback and they pay big bass and 1st place. If the attendance is high enough, they pay more places. They seemed very accepting of new participants and encourage the "advertising" of the event so as to draw more boats. More people = more $$$ = more places paid. As also stated, it is a good way to find out more about the lake.