close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

c-drive

Discussion in 'Computing & Gaming Discussions' started by johnboy111711, Jan 23, 2005.

1. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

i am having some problems trying to compress my c-drive in disk clean up. it says scanning:copress old files but it never advances, It puts my cpu usage at 100%. Is there any way i am able to either get my c-drive to compress manually or is there some way to restore the original process?

2. I've always thought compressing drives was a bad thing. Storage is relatively cheap these days and you'd be far better off buying a newer, bigger drive than trying to compress to scrape space. I could be wrong on this, haven't looked into compression in a long time. Is this an option when you run disk clean-up? I do thing it's a good idea to run disk cleanup to delete temp files and temporary internet files as well as degfrag the hard drives.

Again I'm not saying I'm right just offering my viewpoint. I don't compress drives.

3. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

I had that same problem..Never use disk cleanup is what I have been told..I had to stop the process in the task manager..And I never used it agin.

4. I agree with TritonBill that compression is generally not the best option. Just getting a drive compressed can be a somewhat tricky process particularly if you are cramped for space to begin with on the drive (which is normally why you would want to compress). Also, it can take a LONG time in many cases due to memory limitations, drive size, and or limited available drive space. Hard drives are relatively inexpensive nowadays. The other thing to consider is that compressed files require decompression to access them and thus it taxes your resources more. I think most guys would recommend getting an additional hard drive installed.

Depending on how much space you are trying to gain you can even get a hard drive at times from the right person for next to nothing. I have had old 1.6MB and 2.0MB drives laying around that I have given away to people for a second drive for data backup purposes or simply more drive storage. Even if you are going out to buy one you can find a lot of drives for under $50 especially if you choose to order from somewhere online. One place that I like to check for items like this is on the following web site.

Pricewatch

5. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

i am not cramped for space, i just want to rid myself of all the old files and stuff like that. i have 93%free in my comp.

6. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Trapped in New York!

You need a program called Webroot Window Washer!
    I dont think is if shareware, but it's a great program...
    cleans up everything... microsoft tracks, temporary files,
    temporary internet files, cookies... etc. I highly suggest it! :cool:

you can try it free onlline...

webroot.com/products/windowwasher/

7. Here is all I suggest.

1. Run Windows defrag on a periodic basis to keep files in order and to ensure data integrity.
    2. Run Ad-Aware, Spybot, and/or any other spyware detection programs to keep malware and spyware off your system.
    3. Clear your temporary internet files when you run into any strange things happening on sites. Be sure to delete cookies at the same time. This does not really need done on a regular basis because your system is designed to build the temporary internet files cache to speed up access times. (Your system does not have to pull data over and over again if it does not change.)
    I personally would not invest in a tool to do these things because the steps are not difficult.

Are you experiencing problems that you are trying to get rid of or are you simply being proactive? If you are being proactive then I would say steps 1 and 2 should keep you in good shape.

If you find plenty of malware/spyware to remove I would suggest that you could look into running Firefox rather than Internet Explorer. You just will not get hammered by hardly any malware/spyware.

8. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Trapped in New York!

This is true Brian....

and the great thing about SPYBOT is that you can immunize your system...
    and it keeps alot of spyware from even getting back onto your computer.

9. Unfortunately some of these spyware are a royal pain in the hind end to get rid of because they bury themselves pretty well under the covers.:mad: I have had to edit the registry manually a few times here at work to clean some of them.

10. catlover

catlover Banned

Here's a couple of good utillities for you. The first gets rid of temp files, history and .dat files and is also good basic cleaner(as well as having neat sound effects). You will lose your cookies and have to sign back into some sites, tho.

The second you should be careful with. Please familiarize yourself with the read file.. When ever you uninstall programs and applications, they always leave residual junk laying around.

http://cleanup.stevengould.org/

http://www.worldstart.com/weekly-download/archives/reg-cleaner4.3.htm

Catz

11. I agree with BKR, I wouldn't buy any programs that claim to wash files and clean your PC. All the tools are already built-in to XP and I believe 98 too. cleaning temporary internet files and cookies can be done from Internet Explorer itself.

It's important to run SpyBot and/or AdAware to remove spyware from time to time.

Last but not least run some antivirus software and firewall. I run Norton Internet Security and like it.

12. catlover

catlover Banned

Except for .dat files and index files. These can be pesky. If you clean them up they come right back next boot. Try running Cleanup for the first time, you'll be amazed how much disc space you'll recover, then when you shut down it finishes it's job. Its a very safe and user friendly proggy, but as it clears cookies, you will have to log back in on this board. Same with spybot D&D its a cookie killer too/ It was said that micrbux put that feature so that forensic tools could go in and see exactly where youve been and what youve done(not cookies,files). With disc sizes these days,it's not an issue that it used to be
    Catz.(the only guy not in the fantasy bass league)