Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two of us fished C C today frm 9 am until 2:30 pm. The surface temp. on was 66 degrees. The water is as clear as it is going to get. We kept 25 nice crappie with a bunch of them 11" to 113/4". They are still in the wood from 24 ft to about 16 ft. with most of the bites coming right off the bottom. Some times the bite was hard and some times it was soft.
All in all it was a super beautiful day to be out and on the water. The fishing will only get better and the fish bigger, I hope . lol

PS. Also caught one eye of about 14" in the wood and some small perch.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Fished CC sunday, got on the water late about 1:00. The pleasure boaters were everywhere! Decided to find some new brushpiles and laydowns. Caught a couple chunkers in 32 fow. They are starting to pack on some weight. All were caught on jigs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Taxicab--I look to see what you post almost everyday. Thanks so much. I have started dead line fishing and have had some success but never have much success around submerged trees. When you say "wood" do you mean submerged trees going into the coves? Have you ever had any luck near the dam.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Texasperal,
Yes wood is just another name for trees. All laydowns are not the same. I want the top of the tree to be at least 25 foot deep and on the bottom with a good structure several feet up. You have to look and ck each laydown or tree out to see how it is. Trees that are not deep this time of year may not hold crappie but may be a spring tree for spawn.
There are several trees down by the damn and in the bay by the damn that are good now and being an idle zone keeps the big boats and speeders away.
I learned how to find and pick the good ones from experience and nothing will teach you like experience. Just keep trying and you will get better and better as you go. Some times when I hit a slow bite day I will take the time to look for new trees and some times after ice out a lot of trees will be gone or change and not produce any more and you have to look for new ones.
The best structure you can find are the ones that have nothing showing above the surface because not many will know about them. When you are on a tree and not catching any or you have and they have stopped than move on to another tree and come back after a couple of hours. You will normaly catch the biggest crappie in the tree on the first bite so it can go down hill after that . Some time you can get several big ones out of one tree before you have to move.
C.C. has a great population of huge white and black crappie now and a great supply of small ones that will be 10" next year or bigger. The 9" limit was the best thing the state ever did for the crappie. You can see the change each yesr now as long as we have a good spawn. Thank you.

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
The 9" limit was the best thing the state ever did for the crappie. You can see the change each yesr now as long as we have a good spawn. Thank you.
I got to say I agree with this. They just put the limit on EF last year and the results are obvious as you say. Now they need to put it on Cowan. It also could be a great lake but the unlimited and unrestricted harvest just can't go on forever. That lake has the potential, the fish just need time to grow.
PS, I also look forward to your posts and thanks for sharing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts