close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

C C 9" crappie limit

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by taxiecab, May 11, 2004.

1. In the past I have seen posts where people said a size limit never did any good because it was never inforced. I fish C C at least 3 or 4 times a week for the past 9 years and have never been stop by any one to check my catch or any thing else. At Huston Woods I would get checked by the Game Warden every week.
    The short of this is that I was told by some one that they knew a person who was fishing at C C and was stopped and checked by some one they did not know and was found to have crappie that were just less than 9" and was fined $250.00. I take no pleasure in this persons lost but they did break the law and I am glad to see some one must be checking now which I think is a good idea. If you make laws than inforce them.
    By the way the 9" size limit is really working as far as I can see because the crappie there are now getting bigger and better each year.

An up to date C C report: surface temp 65 to 71 degrees lake level full and the water is as clear as I have ever seen it. You can see 3 to 4 ft straight down in some places right now. The crappie fishing is a good as it gets right now and I will say no more. thanks

2. Bassnpro1

Bassnpro1 OSU outdoorsman

Thanks for the info. If I can save enough money to get a vehicle that can tow a boat, I will be hitting CC fairly often. My goal is to take Catking to the "dead sea" and catch some fish. :rolleyes: Is that a monumental goal or what? I am up for it though. I will prove this curse wrong. :D

3. Floater

Floater Floatin' on by

Thanks for the report!
    I too am glad that someone is enforcing the crappie limit at the lake. It definitely seems to be working. I am definitely thinking of making plans to hit the lake this weekend.

4. My catch rate at CC is about 70% keepers and I am happy to put back the little guys. In my opinion, the fishing pressure at CC is very very heavy and the lake could become over-fished, if it isn't already. I've seen others keep dinks there and would applaude more enforcement (especially on weekends). In the interest of maintaining a quality fishery, I'll also go on record to say I'd be happy if the DNR would place a catch limit for crappies on the lake. Now, THAT should get some replies!

5. carphunter

carphunter cat killer

That is pretty cool about the 9" limit. They need to do this for all the local lakes around here. They also need to have limits on all fish. I think populations would be better and the fish would be a whole lot bigger. I think its time for this to happen because I am getting tired of going fishing at my favorite spots and when I get there someone has a bucket full of fish. That really ticks me off. I put that last sentence in good words. :D

6. I have to admit that I am not as convinced on the size and catch limit as many are. But I would think that catch limit is more important. There is more to it.
    I just got back from Kentucky Lake. I was with a group of die-hard crappie fisherman that have been going for more than ten years. The lake has a ten inch size limit and a 30/60 creel/possession limit. These guys have always caught very well except for the last three years. The last three have not been good for most all crappie fisherman and it is well known. Kentucky state DNR is trying to study it, because the official counts performed by netting and electro-shock say that the numbers are very much the same and that the size average is very much stable. What they have seen by these two counting methods, however, is a large change in the number of white crappie versus black crappie. Used to be 75% white crappies, now it is the other way around. They use a third counting method that consists of on-the-water livewell and boat dock counts of active fisherman. Guess what - the ratio of white crappie to black crappie that are actually being caught is the same as the historical count ratios, 75% white crappies, 25% black crappies....the fact that there are overwhelmingly more black crappies has not changed which ones are caught. So, it seems that the fisherman don't know how to catch the black crappies. They have some theories on why things changed.....water clarity, lake level instabilities, etc. Alot are saying that a schedule change in the timing of winter-to-summer pool adjustments is to blame. But no one really knows. In this case, changing the size limit has nothing to do with it. And the overall crappie density is unchanged, so changing catch limit is not the answer either. By all official counts, there is no reason for the disappointed crappie fisherman. Is it possible that other species have interrupted their patterns? Did limits imposed on another species cause a change to the crappies? Is it possible that the black crappie is affected less because of its preferences? The week I was there was documented by some guides as the best bluegill fishing they have ever seen. Are the bluegills responsible for the changes? Anyway, there is more to good fishing potential than limits.

Does anyone know what the official counts (and methods) are for our SW Ohio lakes?

7. I have been crappie fishing seriously for about the last 10 years. I fish several local crappie tournaments plus a handful of Crappie USA. Black and white crappies are different species and need to be fished like different species. I know for a fact that the black crappie spawn before the whites do. Early in the spring I catch the biggest black crappie of the year 1' to 2' deep as soon as the back of creek arms reaches 50 degrees. These are not spawning crappie but crappie that have moved shallow to sun themselves and feed. I have done this on several lakes. I will not disclose where, because keeping these females can kill a crappie population. ONE MUST PRACTICE SELECTIVE HARVEST or better yet not keep any of the big females at all.

I recently read an article in the In-Fisherman stating the same facts that you did TheKing, concerning crappie status at KYL. The article also stated that the fisherman have not adapted, yet, how to efficiently catch black crappie at KYL. This would explain the live well surveys.

As far as a creel/possession limit in OH. I am all for it. No one man/family needs more than 30 crappie a day. Besides fish is always best eaten fresh.

Oh yeah, my statements are in no way meant to offend anyone. Just my $.02.

Can't wait to hit the lake with you tomorrow Taxiecab :D :D :eek:

FishOn!

LarryFish

8. I ahve gone to Lkae Okeechobbe in Fl. for several years now except for the last 2 yrs and have seen how the no limit catch has effected the fishing on this huge lake. Until a few years ago they did not have any size limits or number limits and it took it toll on this lake before they saw the light.
    It was a combination of fishing pressure and numbers taken that almost cause it to shut down the great populations of crappie. They have since gone to a 25 per day limit and the last time I fished there you could see the change all ready. We have the knowlege, equipment and the ability to wipe out any fish population in any give body of water.
    The other factor is Mother Nature her self who can do more damage to a fish population than any thing here on earth. all you need is a couple of years of bad spawns back to back and you have cause serious damage to the stock. Just remeber we hold the future of fishing for our children in our own behavior we show today.

9. Here's another $.05 worth. Just to drag it out a bit more. Not to be antagonistic. I agree with your claim.
    Just wanted to mention a little more on the KenLake Crappie Project. Approximately 1000 fish were tagged with transmitters and their travels were recorded. It was an attempt to discover if a travel/location difference existed between the black crappie and the white crappie, such as one like you mentioned. I gathered from reading on their website was that recording all these fish movements and making a conclusion was not simple. But as of the present they have concluded that one difference is that the black crappies stay in close much longer (a month longer) after the spawn than the white crappie. The male black crappies supposedly guarded the nests in 1-2 ft of water in very difficult-to-fish backwater areas. The white crappies head to 10-12 ft of water soon after the spawn and hang out for some weeks before moving to the deeps.

Very neat to hear your experience. Sounds like the KenLake people could use some of your brains.

Fish story with a moral related to catch and release.
    I caught a beautiful stringer of eight 14-17 inch largemouth in a two hour morning back in May of 1983. We were up at a small lake near Grand Lake St Marys. During this fantastic morning to remember, a pro fished his heart out to my left, then to my right, followed me all around the lake and caught nothing. He never once used my method or pattern. I don't even remember if he asked me how I was doing it. He was very intense on casting and reeling. He stayed stuck on his very difficult and poorly performing technique. As I got ready to leave, he lectured me long and hard and shamed me into releasing my fish. I obliged and I must say that I felt pretty stupid walking back to the trailer emptyhanded. I thought about it some and then realized that had he been concerned with catching fish, he would have asked me how to do it. So, I concluded that he was actually concerned with having a place to practice his limited techniques...techniques that required an extraordinary favorable setting to be successful and he needed to create and protect and proliferate that setting somehow. Had I not been there demonstrating a red hot unlimited pattern, he would have no idea of that there was even anything in that lake. What he was asking me to do was to help make it easier for him to catch fish with a poor technique. I don't know the fisheries science, but if things are that good, it seems to me that such a lake is in an unsustainable condition. I don't support that as managing the resource. Fish hatcheries cannot maintain themselves, though I do remember throwing pebbles (really, I never dropped a line there :p ) into the Wildlife District 5 fish hatcheries some 30 years ago, and yep, all the fish ran to eat it every time.
    Anyway, the moral of that long sad story, as promised: Protecting and expanding the resource is worthy for our kids future and adds to the fun time spent with friends and family in the great outdoors. But totally loses its luster when it is intended for big business stockholders.

30 creel is definitely more than enough from the standpoint of quality outdoorsman experience. Half of that would also be plenty good for a day, and say 50 or so in possession. But the question that needs some consideration is whether or not it will help the population or hurt it. I'm not the only one who has seen the farm pond with a thousand 3 inch starved 5 year old bluegills. When a lake has 50 or more years of success, changing the rules ought to be a slow and careful action, with serious monitoring. And I totally agree that Ohio has been very weak in the verification of limits and that it might cause big problems in the future, especially if we change things without monitoring them.

And so, does anyone know how to access the results of our SW Ohio fish surveys?