Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Just read the story - ridiculous idea. I'm of the mind that there already aren't enough trash cans available at these places. I'll take my own trash with me, but how many other people are willing to pick up after their dog and ride with the sh*t in their car until they reach another trash can? Check the bottoms of your shoes before you get in your vehicle because the crap is gonna pile up.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I can't imagine how trashed the parks will become in short order. There are no garbage cans on Bluegrass island on the Maumee and many lowlifes feel that is a good reason to throw their refuse on the ground or in the water. I hope some groups put together some volunteers to try and keep a handle on this. I always pick up trash but i seldom make much of a dent:(

·
Registered
8 Posts
How to pay for trash removal in the parks:

1. Enforce current littering laws

That's it. Giving out 10 fines would cover the $5000 Cesar's Creek is saving by taking out all the trash cans.

·
Defensor Fortis
4,379 Posts
I think it is a good idea, but it will, and already is a badly enforced rule. If it would work, and if people would do their part, it would save tons of money.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
alot of people would just burn their trash in the campfire. i use a coleman dining set so i hardly have any trash. my trash is mostly beer cans and water bottles which i take home and recyle anyway

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I hope all the state parks don't start looking like the launch area at Mosquito lake state park did in the spring.....trash cans full, stuff tossed/blown all over, restrooms enough to gag a maggot with a sprinkling of trash (not to mention the odor).....just gross. I'm not sure the carry in/carry out concept works for more than a few % of the population. Let's all hope for the best and practice cleanliness.

·
Here We Go Steelers
1,142 Posts
LMAO...How about they cut out 1 employee from sitting in the air conditioned office of the State Parks?

C.J Brown has anywhere from 2-4 employees sitting around the main office (s) at different times..I've seen 'em..Not to mention the Park Rangers that instead of patrolling the parks to stop crime, littering, etc, they too are sitting in the park offices where it's nice and cool.

Heck, keep all the employees and cut out the air conditioning and open the freaking windows. The A/C is broke in my semi and I still work 10-11 hrs a day in the heat...Why can't they?

This is a joke IMO...Guess they (The State) can finally put some of those welfare recipients to work now right?

·
Registered
11,409 Posts
I agree that this will make for a rela mess in the parks. They should have just kept their current system and as was mentioned begin enforcing littering to pay for the program. There are so many people who do not think anything of leaving their trach behind. Having the parks system make a move like this suggests that they don't care much if people do leave it behind.:mad: This hopefully will be a mistake that gets enough noise to make them reverse their decision.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
This is a very sad decision by the state. They will soon realize that they have made the mistake and reverse it...or at least I can only hope.

·
Powderfinger
7,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think it's a terrible idea too. But the state found the cash to put up a new restroom at Nimisila this month.
But it is only going to get worse when the next budget cycle comes around in two years. We are still 3.2 billion in the hole

·
Registered
700 Posts
One big problem is they refuse to have a user fee. If they would impose a 5.00 or 10.00 annual fee per vehicle they could make up a lot of lost money. This fee would cover all vehicles who use, beaches, launch ramps, picnic areas, pretty much everything within state park boundaries. I think most people would rather pay 5.00 or 10.00 a year rather than have parks looking like crap or even closing completely. Right now they would rather eliminate jobs or services than impose a fee. When you think about it, for most parks, the ONLY income they are generating is from campgrounds, but most campers take care of the campgrounds area. It's the people picnicking, fishing, and hiking for free that are leaving the trash when they leave. I agree with writing all the litter tickets, but the majority of the money goes to the court not back to the state.

I agree, we don't need any more fees with todays economy, but you can't operate the same way you did in the 1980's. Times have changed, the cost of everything has increased, there is a time to pass the buck and that time is near. Again 5 or 10.00 is not that much to keep areas looking presentable.

·
Banned
5,615 Posts
I don't see a problem. If you don't pick up after a dog, don't take a dog to a park. If you throw trash around because there are no trash cans, stay at home, you don't belong in a state park with that mind set. Michigan has LONG had this in place at many parks. You , in many cases, had to pack out what you took in. Look at some of the parks now, even with cans, people still throw trash around. It's all about what type of people there are, not how many cans there are. I wouldn't throw trash around anyplace, and people who do are sorta like what they are throwing around.My opinion. CK

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
I wouldn't throw trash around anyplace, and people who do are sorta like what they are throwing around.
Nor would I, and I do pick up after my dog when I take her to a park. My point is that guys like you, me, and most of the members of this site aren't the problem. The if you're too lazy to clean up after yourself idea stay out idea just doesn't work. The fact of the matter is from my experience, where this an available trash can, there is less litter.

·
Banned
5,615 Posts
I fully agree....with most points. But, even with trash cans, people who throw crap around, still do and always will. There could be a can every 10 feet and still some will litter. Because there will be no cans, doesn't mean more trash, unless good people suddenly decide to become litter bugs. THE CATKING !!! ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts