close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Buzz bait rod.

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by J man, Apr 13, 2004.

1. J man

J man

What kind of rod do I get for casting buzzbaits?

2. JakeFr5150

JakeFr5150 Mr. Bug Rod

Do you prefer to use casting or spinning gear? I use spinning gear for all fishing with conventional tackle - never got into using baitcasters too much. I pretty much do about 90% of my fishing with Ultralight tackle, so you can get away with that using 1/8 ounce buzzbaits (Strike Kings in 1/8 ounce are my favorites) on Ultralight rods. Personally, I use 2 rods mostly - a 5'3" Fenwick HMX and a 6'6" St. Croix Premier spinning rod. The Fenwick is Light power, so its not a true ultralight setup, so I use it when I'm going to new holes that I'm not sure if I will get into bigger fish with. However, the St. Croix is my fave. Pair either of those up to a Tica Cetus and you're good to go! Hope this helps you out if you use spinning gear.

Jake

3. I use a G.Loomis CBR 845 (7’ mod-fast/ med-heavy) and a Curado SF 201 with 30LB Power Pro. I like the 7’ length to keep the buzzbait on top with a slow retrieve. I feel like the moderate action of the rod increase my hook-up percentage (I do not pull the bait out as much on the initial hit). I like Power Pro for all topwater lures because the thin diameter cuts through the water and grass, and the line floats. This is a very versatile rod, and I use it for most of my crankbait applications, some topwater baits, and some spinnerbait fishing.

4. CountryKat

CountryKat Fish On!!!

I would stick with a 6' - 7' med to med fast action with a med to med/hvy power. Your hookup will be a lot better with these actions and lengths.

5. JBJ

JBJ

My recommendation for a baitcasting rod would also be a 7' MH but I don't see the need for a high end rod for this technique. I prefer something with a good backbone and fairly limber tip. With the rod being a MH, I like the limber tip for getting some more distance in the cast. 7' and MH for working around objects and snaggy areas.

You can use cheaper, lower grade graphite, rods in that you are not "feeling" the hit. You will know it by sight, sound, and a definite strike most often. This does not require highly sensitive rods. Another thought about this is that the higher grades of graphite are inherantly more brittle. If you wait a few seconds after the hit as required and use a bone jarring hook set, it would be best to have something like an Ugly Stick or Galyans IM7 or HM 40. Fits the bill nicely in my book.

6. Yeah i agree rooster, i use a 6 1/2 foot st.croix ( medium light ) for a smooth hook set (hard to see at night when fish bite) so i go alot by rod tip feel, this crappie style rod is really fast on the end of the stick and you wont miss many, I use 8 pound spiderwire (monofilament), if I am big bassfishing (pending on what ponds I am in) I use a 7 foot thunderstick with ambassadeur 4600 AB (wide reel i also use this for muskie etc. big cats and DAM fishing) with 25 lb. trilene XT, then I will throw rattle traps or large cranks or texas rig with a 1/2 weight (for heavy cover) hope this helps ! chris

7. liquidsoap

liquidsoap Pay-it-foward fisherman

Agreed with Rooster and countrykat...
    I use a 7 ft. meduim heavy with 15lb powerpro...