close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Buying my first real house.....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Wannabitawerm, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Wannabitawerm

Wannabitawerm Flatulent Entreprenuer

Well, this is the scoop. As some of you may recall, I had to give up my brand new 2005 Mustang GT for a vehicle with more seating capacity due the soon arrival, (Mid Sept) of Sam Jr. About 8 years ago we purchased the mobile we are in now. Inexpensive and efficient as well as a good school district.

Well, now we need more rooms.

Century home in Oberlin. 5 bedrooms, 3 baths. A little over 2700 square feet. Needs some slate roof work, some plumbing issues, and a new furnace. Exterior needs some paint, lanscaping work and some cedar shakes. Inside just needs some sprucing up. Wife's dream home.

This fall, winter and next spring, if anyone needs me, I'll be working my butt off. I know this house will be beautiful when it is done. Once all of the issues are worked out, I will be posting pictures. Wish me luck, and I will let you all know how the progress is. :(

2. We bought our dream house 30 years ago and are still here. Don't do like me and let the things you want to do sit. We redid the main floor fairly well early on but the basement needed finished and I let that slide till about 3-4 years ago and am still working on it into retirement. lol. Homes are good investments and I'm sure you and your young family will enjoy having it. Just take a break from the projects every now and then and wet a line. Not having the "Stang" right now will save you some major $$$ in gas. I feel for you on that one though. Good luck!

3. Just this past Friday i closed on my first "real" house. I bought a mobile about 4 years ago, lived in it until my mother passed away, then moved back in with my father. I continued to rent the mobile out to a couple for the next few years. They were great tenants. They informed me in November of '04 that they had a little one on the way and they were going to move out. So I decided to sell the mobile. I ended up selling it for $10,000 more than what I paid.

So as I matured and the old lady and I decided it was time to get out on our own again because Dad is able to fend for himself now (cook, balance cheeckbook, cook, clean) So I offered a bank, who had forclosed on this 3 year old house an extremly low amount.... they accepted. So now I am in debt, AGAIN, tearing out all the stuff I don't want. Installing new carpet, hardwood, doors, and painting. I worked all weekend and have already spent a thousand dollars.

I am a little frusrated with a few things, such as the water department... not being able to turn it on until tomorrow and charging me a $100 deposit. But overall it is going to be fun, making the house exactly as I (really how she) wants it.

4. That's a couple steps down from Columbiana, isn't it? lol lol

You know what they say: your work is NEVER done. I believe, I believe!
    Our mortgage has been paid off for almost 5 years and I've still got parts of this house that look just like it did when we bought it. That's shamefull. lol And now we are talking with contractors about a 26x28 addition on the back of our house. This will surely put the caboshes to my future boat buying plans. But you DO have to keep them happy. lol Ah, if anything, working on the house surely keeps ya out of trouble, huh?

5. I figure it is about 5 miles from the old place, and a heck of a lot closer to her parents...... I am only 10 houses from the in-laws. I love them to death, but that is what I am afraid of.... I may end up killing them :)

The boat has been bought and paid for, so I am OK there.... but my fishing trips have been cut short.... thank god I already paid for the Canada trip months ago, or that would have been cancelled.

I do what I have to to keep to peace.

6. Wannabitawerm

Wannabitawerm Flatulent Entreprenuer

...got all of the estimates in place for the house. Gonna try to get some escrow money for the repairs. Wife is scheduled for the c-section on the 17th. May have to push the closing back a couple of weeks, but I'm okay with that. I'll keep you posted....