Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have gone to the dark side and swing flies all year round. I usually purchase flies at local fly shops, but the distance to get there has become enough to look toward the Internet.

Where can you suggest online to buy swing flies...

What size or patterns are you all using in steelhead alley? I am pretty boring I usually have black, purple or pink tied on.

Thanks

·
Registered
69 Posts
I just started tying myself and have been focusing on swinging style streamers. I think they're pretty easy in comparison to smaller stuff. Much more room for error and the lack of precision that will come with experience.

That said, Chagrin River Outfitters has a great selection of swinging flies tailored for our fishery. A quick Google search will probably turn up a dozen sites that sell steelhead streamers, but CRO has patterns custom tied in colors and sizes that are proven and effective in our area. I think it's absolutely worth the trip, and it's about 90 minutes for me.

Reactions: HappySnag

·
1 fish is a he!! of alot more than none.
1,819 Posts
I love Kevin Feenstra flies for swinging. I bought a handful years ago and copy and adjust them on my own now. Keep it simple with colors materials. Use materials that "swim"

Also I don't have much luck using sinking tips on the south shore. I have 6 times more success with regular leader off the floating line.
Rickerd

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
I love Kevin Feenstra flies for swinging. I bought a handful years ago and copy and adjust them on my own now. Keep it simple with colors materials. Use materials that "swim"
Also I don't have much luck using sinking tips on the south shore. I have 6 times more success with regular leader off the floating line.
Rickerd
Excellent all around advice. IMO, too many fishermen have a tendency to complicate all facets of fishing, steel heading included.
I can't think of any local rivers that warrant a sinking tip. KISS

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Excellent all around advice. IMO, too many fishermen have a tendency to complicate all facets of fishing, steel heading included.
I can't think of any local rivers that warrant a sinking tip. KISS
Thanks to all!

Let me start with a am a "switch rod" user. Currently I run a Scott L2H 11'6" with a OPST commando head. I love the shooting action of that compact head. I also run a 12 ft sink tip " riffle" series which is the slowest sink rate with another 24" of mono before the fly. I am unsure if the compact head would still work as designed with a straight twelve foot leader?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks to all!

Let me start with a am a "switch rod" user. Currently I run a Scott L2H 11'6" with a OPST commando head. I love the shooting action of that compact head. I also run a 12 ft sink tip " riffle" series which is the slowest sink rate with another 24" of mono before the fly. I am unsure if the compact head would still work as designed with a straight twelve foot leader?
No, I don't think it would. You'll still need a tip, just a floating one. OPST makes some (get their newer heavier ones for this purpose). A floating Rio MOW tip works too.

·
1,819 Posts
I have enjoyed the two handed fishing rods on a couple trips out west, but I haven't seen streams on South shore that require it. Maybe if I fished Grand more than once or twice a year I could use one. So I use a 10' long single hand fly rod. I have spoken to Jeff Liskay a couple times and believe he could help fine tune your setup, also I'm sure Chagrin River Outfitters would give good advice.

FYI I keep swinging during the Winter to locate fish, then I might nymph them with high stick once I know where they are. You just have to keep everything SLOW during the cold water trips.

Rickerd

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have enjoyed the two handed fishing rods on a couple trips out west, but I haven't seen streams on South shore that require it. Maybe if I fished Grand more than once or twice a year I could use one. So I use a 10' long single hand fly rod. I have spoken to Jeff Liskay a couple times and believe he could help fine tune your setup, also I'm sure Chagrin River Outfitters would give good advice.

FYI I keep swinging during the Winter to locate fish, then I might nymph them with high stick once I know where they are. You just have to keep everything SLOW during the cold water trips.

Rickerd
Thanks! I use the two hand rod because it helps my shoulder. I can cast all day and still move the next day!

Yes I know Jeff and have attend several of his seminars st CRO. Every time I am out now and not catching fish, its a time to improve my casting.....that said I should be getting better..heheheh

·
1,819 Posts
You are taking a smart approach. I know the 2 hand casting is so easy on the joints.
rickerd

1 - 12 of 12 Posts