buying a used compound bow

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by iceberg, Sep 9, 2007.

1. iceberg

iceberg meat dragger

what do i look for when buying a used compound bow? what will i have to do to set it up for me once i buy one?i am totaly lost when it comes to compound bows.thanks to all who respond

2. ShutUpNFish

ShutUpNFish FishBum

First off, I would seek advice from someone you know and trust who is an expereienced shooter. Then find yourself a reputable archery shop in your area. They will set you up with what you need for hunting or just target shooting according to your build and strength.

As far as brands go....a lot of guys are partial to whatever bows they shoot, but bottom line is this. There are a lot of good bows out on the market today, you just need to do some research and find what is best and most comfortable for you and your needs. This will be my 6th season hunting with my Hoyt and it has killed many deer. It suits my needs and performs quite well for what I need it to do. Good Luck in your search!

Brands to consider:
    Hoyt
    Matthews
    BowTech
    PSE
    Parker
    Martin
    Ross
    Browning
    Fred Bear Archery
    High Country
    Reflex

3. GPtimes2

GPtimes2 Oh Deer

Good advice from above.
    Some things to know is your draw length and apropriate draw wieght. I would look for a less expensive used starter bow from a pro shop. They will help you a lot and be deserving of your buisiness. Then if you get addicted (like most), you can upgrade and keep your used one as a backup. A used may cost several hundred with accesories and a new can go for 1200 out the door with new case, arrows, sights, etc...
    Also, join archerytalk.com forum (it's free like this one). They have all you could ever hope to learn there (even though this is a good forum).

4. phisherman

phisherman can't land em Teddy