Buying a new truck - 4 or 6?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MikeD, May 14, 2008.

1. MikeD

MikeD Member

This has probably been asked many times before, but here goes. I'm in the market for a pickup and am deliberating between a 4 or 6 cylinder. I have a 14 foot jon boat with an electric motor, so I am not towing a lot of weight. The lakes I typically fish don't have very steep ramps (usually LaDue). I'm leaning toward the smaller truck for its cost and fuel efficiency. Anyone have any advice? Will I be sorry in the long run if I don't go for the V6? By the way, I currently use a Toyota Sienna AWD with a V6 and am looking to downsize a bit.

2. ParmaBass

ParmaBass Kiss The Converse

I used to tow a fairly heavy 12' boat (Ladue also) and used to have a 4 cyl Ford Ranger and never had any problems. Only problem I ever had was the lack of 4wd and the crappy LaDue ramps.

It'll be pretty gas friendly too!

3. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

Just goto www.consumerguide.com and research the revised MPG ratings on vehicles you are interested in. The old assumption that a 4 is more efficient than a 6 isn't valid, as it often times is not the case. You may be better off pulling with a small SUV such as a Rav-4 because it will get much better milage than any truck out there, and can also be 4x4, etc.

4. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

Look for an e-85 compatable vehicle too! With research in converting certain grasses to ethanol, that stuff will only get cheaper.

5. I would look at total overall horsepower ratings and PMG for all p/u models. If you like your current make I'd stick with it but research the 4 cylinder models and compare them. Toyota has always made a solid truck. I'd look at whether or not the model you want will have a complete tow package with it, this would make the difference for me when it comes to sign on the dotted line! My delima was looking down the road, I wanted a bigger boat, started fishing more tournaments, needed more room, more HP. Before I knew it I was in a gas guzzling V-8 pulling a 19ft Champion with a 150HP evinrude! As you can see, I forgot to add in the little fact that my fishing took on a life of its own. So look down the road at what you REALLY want your truck to do for you now and 5 to 10 years from now, might just save ya a headache.

6. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

Good point Wolfhook.

7. I agree with wolfhook.... I used to pull my 16ft older bass boat with my Toyota 4-runner (15 yrs of pulling I might add ).... It had a 4 cylinder in it which did a great job for the years I had it. Then I got my Explorer that has a V6 that did a great job. Once I bought a 19' bass boat the Explorer didn't do bad I thought. We went on vacation last year to Deep CreeK Lake in MD and with the boat, all the luggage plus the whole family it fell on its face going up the steep hills in WV,PA. and MD. I hope to go to other lakes now so I just got a newer Explorer with a V8. (Looking for a good deal on a gas station now!!) Just keep in mind of years down the road plus once they get a few miles on them they kinda lose some of their power. The V6 really didn't do that bad tho here in Ohio.

Just my 2 cents
    GarryS

8. Mushijobah has a very valid point here. The common thought is that a 4 gets better gas mileage. Let me ask you one simple question.... You are looking at a 2008 Ford Ranger.. all options the exact same but one is 4cyl and the other 6cyl... which engine is working harder? Obviously it would be the 4 and the harder it works the worse the gas mileage. The key to getting better gas mileage isn't always downsizing the motor... more often then not, it's learning to drive the larger engine reasonably. Don't stomp on the gas and then slam on the brakes. Ease into the motor and pick up speed gradually... there will be times you need to gun it but if you really need to then you will be that much happier to have the bigger motor under the hood!!

9. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

Exactly!!!

10. and just to add what the others have hit on with the new engines and computers they have the vehicle you choose might have the engine management system that shuts off cylinders when cruising or maintaining speed, that is something else too look at, i personally would go with the v6 cause the power is there in reserve if you ever need it, plus the v6's get just as good gas mileage now as the 4's just do your home work.

Also with whatever vehicle you get to tow, get a aftermarket tranny cooler, they flow much more and cool more than the factory tranny coolers and will save ur tranny.

11. How about a 5 cylinder? I have one in my Colorado and its a pretty good little engine. I usually get about 20 MPG city and 24 highway. I don't even feel my 12' boat behind it, and I have towed up to 4000 pounds with no problem. It has 220 HP and the new version had 247 HP. Just another option.......and with GM's warranty there's really no reason to look at imports anymore.

12. I was gonna say look at a Colorado too since it has the 5 cylinder, and not too terrible gas mileage.

13. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

+1 on the 5cyl. Good amounts of torque.

14. ParmaBass

ParmaBass Kiss The Converse

How hard is it to pull a 300lb boat and trailer? He could probably tow it with a motorcycle if he wanted to. If you want to buy a bigger boat in the future get the bigger vehicle, if not stick with the small truck.

I went from a 4cyl to a 6cyl towing an aluminum boat to Ladue for 4 years. There was a very obvious difference in gas mileage.

15. MikeD

MikeD Member

Thank you all for the advice. I went with the V6. I know the smaller one would have worked fine with my small boat, but looking down the road I think I'll be better off. See you on the water.