close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Buyers beware! Lowrance/Eagle

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Grumpy, Aug 30, 2007.

1. Grumpy

Grumpy Certified Old Geezer

In June my brand new Eagle 480 crapped out after less than 6 hours use. It took Lowrance/Eagle a month to send me a new unit. The new unit lasted less than 5 hours before it crapped out. Less than 1/2 hr. ago I took delivery on a replacement for the second unit..............Guess what..........This one crapped out in 0 hours. This one won't even boot up.

2. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Ouch! I assume you have an in-line fuse on it? Just to make sure it's not a power surge issue flakin it out?

3. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

i'm glad i was on the other end of town when you attempted to turn it on:EE:
    i cannot believe that company gets the praise i see from some people.seems that lately they're not living up to theie reputation.neither in the product nor service area.i thought i just read another negative thread here not long ago.
    i thought it was bad eneough after the long wait,that the second one quit before we got off the lake the first time out with it.i should have kept quiet when i kidded about getting a third bad one:(
    at least you still have a "working" garmin unit like mine.

4. Grumpy

I may back my car up over this one and send them back the pieces. Asked them to have someone at least at a V.P. level to call me. I doubt that will happen.

5. Grumpy

My guess is that what they did was send my last unit back to me. Duh!!!!

6. Hmm, I gotta POS Garmin 160 in my garage you can have. :D I did have a very minor problem when I got my X125, but Lowrance had me a new one in short order. People like to think the Lowrance and Eagle units are the same except for the name and price, but that's not the case. There seems to be numerous complaints about Eagle units, and not nearly many about Lowrance. Still, hard to go wrong with the price, it if will work! :)

7. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

LOL.yeah,the key there is IF.i really don't care so much about price,as i do quality/service.even if quality isn't the best,if a product is backed by good service,it eases the pain.when you get neither,as in this case,i sure wouldn't consider it a bargain even if it was free.
    i'm sure grumpy wouldn't feel quite so bad if he hadn't received poor service and communication on top of three bad products.
    i hear mercedes is a good car too,but if it breaks and nobody will talk to me or fix it,it's no more than a pile of pretty metal sitting in the driveway:rolleye:
    ps.............mike,i assume that junk garmin still works,so i'll take it off your hands;)

8. Orlando

Orlando Set The Hook!

Sorry to hear your problems. I guess Iv'e been lucky, same Lowrance 350a since 1995

9. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

Same here. I've been using Eagle and Lowrance products for the last twenty six years, and have never had a single problem with any of them.

10. I bought an Eagle 640C IGPS when they first came out 1.5 years ago. The only problem was it wouldn't let me save to the SD card. I didn't want to be without it so I used it all season and called them in February. Sent it in after trying a few things over the phone and they sent me a brand new in the box within one week. I've used that one all year with no problems so far. They were very nice and helpful. I would definitely recommend an Eagle but not if I ever received the treatment Grumpy has.

11. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

he definitely hasnt received the best service or product.i can vouch for that.he would have never posted this if he hadn't gotten a third bum unit.i've been kinda sharing this experience with him from the beginning and he was giving the benefit of the doubt even after the treatment he got with the first two units.the delayed response to phone calls and emails,the waiting for weeks,etc.
    i was with him when the second unit took a dump after we'd been on the water only a few hours.
    he is no amatuer with electronics,so the problems haven't been operator related.

12. Acutually, it doesn't work well, but it does try to work. I assumed I needed a new transducer, but just never bought one. It's all yours. Right now it's just added to my "will fix someday" pile. :D We know how that works out. ;)

13. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

LOL.yep,i know just how that goes.i have a nice pile of my own,so i guess i don't need to add to it :D
    maybe dragging the boat around on frozen,muddy lakes with robby had an adverse effect on the ducer:D

14. I am thinking the same thing as Shakedown mentioned. It sounds to me that there may be something on-board that is causing the damage. Having 3 crap out right away just sounds way too suspicious to only be coincidental.

15. By the way I also have a 480 that is 2 years old and as good as the day I bought it.;)

16. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

there is always that possibility,but grumpy has never had issues before,and he has graduated from "fishfinders for dummies" school:D ;)
    hell,he even built his first one.
    anything can happen for unknown reasons and i'm sure he's been testing all theories.just seems strange that his old faithful garmin 160 still works though:D ;)
    i'm also sure if he finds it to be something else,he'll let us know.

ps...............my garmin 160 is 5 years old and still going strong;)

17. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

I haven't any problems with my Lowrance units either.
    But they may have recently cut costs, lowered quality and feel customer service is no longer any value to their bottom line.
    Kind of the way Dell computer has gone.
    I hope not.

18. Grumpy

As a point of interest...............Both of the first two units were determined to be faulty by Lowrance/Eagle Techs. The comment on the first unit was......."Yep it's a bad one". Comment on the second unit........"Intermittent short circuit in the unit".

19. When they send the replacement units are they sending everything? (power cord and transducer) Eagle has far too good of a reputation to let that one die. I would think they will make it right somehow. It really sucks to have to wait all of the time to get there though. Why couldn't it just break in the winter?:p

It sounds like he just needs to build a new one then.:p

20. With that kind of rotten luck now I know where you earned your screen name.:D:D