close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Buy new spinning outfit, advice wanted!

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by StuckAtHome, Jun 15, 2007.

1. StuckAtHome

StuckAtHome Mad SOT YAKER!

I got the $$$ from the kayak adventure, so now I have about $200 ( wouldn't mind spending less) for a new spinning outfit, I want medium to medium light, 6' to 6.5', I like to throw 6- 12 test mono, need the reel also, suggestions? I will use it for soft plastics, live bait( not as important) small cranks, spinners, mostly plastics is of #1 importance.
    Thanks.
    Mike

2. I say you pretend you won the lottery and hook yourself up with a shimano stella on a loomis glx rod :)

3. FLT_TUBE_JNKY

FLT_TUBE_JNKY Uber Tuber

I would agree with webman on the real or you could get the one with the quickfire(one hand casting). I have no rod preference, as long as it look cool!lol

also Mike will be free in the evenings next week or weekend, if you need someone to use that other yak of yours.

4. NewbreedFishing

NewbreedFishing High Speed Angling

Shimano Symeter or Scorpian 2500 (rear drag)90$
    6'6" rod by St Croix, Falcon or I really like the Cabela's Fish Eagle II rods.

I would order the combo out of cabelas for around 130$

5. crittergitter

crittergitter Multi Species Angler

I am a fan of St Croix Premier or Avid rods but they are a little pricey. If you ask me the perfect little spinning outfit for fishing rivers, streams and such around here is:

6' or 6'6" Berkley Lightning rod = $40

Mitchell Avocet reel = $40

Leaves you plenty of money to load up on some new in-line spinners, tubes, flukes or whatever your favorite smallie baits are and maybe even get some more cool stuff for that kayak!

CG

6. Pigsticker

Pigsticker State record bass or bust

You cant go wrong with a Shimano reel. I love St Croix too but you're right its pricey. I'd go with a nice 2000 or 2500 series Shimano spinning reel and either a St Croix or a Berkeley Lightning Rod. The Lightning rod seems like a very nice rod for the money, usually around $30-40. Im interested in trying a Pflueger combo they have at Gander for $79.99. Those Presidente reels are as smooth as butta' baby! My bud has one and ive actually faked it that I left my reel at home so I could use his, more than once.:p

7. StuckAtHome

StuckAtHome Mad SOT YAKER!

Thats funny, my first baitcasting rod was a lightning rod, still have it, AND out of my 4 baitcasters, 3 have lightning rods, one a guide something from gander, and I really like it, I guess I'll go with the lightning spinning rod, and try out some of the above reeels.
    Junky: your on, next sat. morning if it clears with the wife bank.