close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Buttonwood 4/18

Discussion in 'Northwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by sickle, Apr 19, 2004.

1. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fished from 4:30 until dark. Caught my limit (23, 21, & 21 inches) but it took almost 3 hours. Snagged 3 in the gill plate and caught 1 legal that I put back. My one buddy caught a big jack (5+ pounds) and saw another guy "catch" a big female. Alot of fish being caught and the weather was beautiful. Unfortunately, spring break is over so I have to go back to work. Fished 7 days and put 14 fish in the freezer. Might have to take a couple of sick days before the run is over. Later.

2. CoolWater

CoolWater Multi-Species Fanatic

good report sounds like you have had some nice success this year... hafta love those fishing sick days... i'm always worried the newspaper will show up and put my mug on the front page or something... LOL

3. Left out of Cullen Park Sat am. 3 guys in the boat, got are limit by the white radar marker in 20 minutes. All fish came on jig-minnow combo. I personally think its not that fun when it only takes 20min. Give me some type of a challenge.

4. How do you guys rig your floating jigheads? Haven't had great success in the past with them yet I know they're deadly. Thanks for any help.

5. Action,

There are several different ways you can rig up. Alot of people use the traditional "Carolina Rig" which consist of an egg sinker and then a barrell swivel. You then tie on a separate piece of line (leader- usually 18-36 inches long) to the swivel and then tie your jig to the other end. Some people simply put on some large split shot about 24 inches above their jig. I use a variation of the two methods. I use an 3/8 or 1/2 bullet sinker and put it approximately 24 inches above the floater and put one small split shot to keep it in place. If the split shot and sinker keep slipping down toward the jig I will tie a small knot in the line to keep them in place. I use this setup because you don't have to tie as many knots as the Carolina style and it still allows the sinker to move freely up to the point where the split shot/knot is. It is also a lot faster to retie after getting snagged and losing everything (which WILL happen). The trick with fishing floaters is to get the feel of what a fish feels like. It took me a while to figure it out. It is very frustrating when others are catching fish and you can't even tell if you have had a bite all day. When the fish are active, I don't think colors are that important, but my best colors have been pink/white, chartreuse, and red heads and green/chart., purple(grape), and pink/metal flake tails. Another good resource is to check out walleyerun.com for more pointers. The best fishing of the year is for post-spawn jacks which should be starting here in a week or so. The fish are much more active and easier to catch. Good luck.