close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

button down.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by ezbite, Nov 17, 2007.

1. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

my thinking last night was, that with the youth hunt at mosquito lake this morning it would be a good time to go out and get a doe for the freezer. the kids will be moving the deer around. OK,sounded good. about 7:15 on cue, here comes a doe about 70 yards away. i hit the primos bleat can, she turns and starts towards me. a few more calls and she is within range. im thinking "man, this is too easy" take the shot and down she goes?? i wait about 5 minutes and watch her die. it was the fastest ive ever saw a deer die. when i gutted the deer i found out why. perfect heart/double lung shot. anyhow, after watching the deer die i walk up to HIM. yep HIM, shot a button buck. man, didnt want to do that. im thinking i just wasted my buck tag. get to the check in station and the guy tells me im OK because they group button bucks with does. once he told me that i remembered it.DUH.. ok so now i got one for the freezer.

Attached Files:

2. Phil Carver

Phil Carver Team Bass Xtreme

All I can say is that that deer will taste so good ! :D Good job on a quick clean kill .

3. I too was thinking like you on the youth hunt. Went to the Sportsmen's Club and was in my stand well before first light. Had a doe working towards me when pheasant hunters came and spooked her! Forgot they also had a bird release. Still trying to get one in the freezer. Congrats and nice Dutch Rub on the deer!:D

4. So I take it you didn't tag it with your antlerless tag. I made the same mistake this season. I shot a button buck and tagged it with my 24 dollar tag on accident. I thought, crap, now I have to shoot another Doe to fill my antlerless tag. Last weekend the opportunity presented itself and I shot a yearling Doe...and yes I tagged it with the right tag. We are not even to gun season yet and I have two yearlings down...GOOOD EATING!!!! I am strictly buck only until muzzleloading. At that point, anything is fair game. By the way Congrats! Looks like a good sized yearling.

5. zoar

zoar

If you put your 24 dollar tag on a doe, can you still shoot a buck?

6. Depending on what zone you are hunting in the answer could be yes that you can still shoot a buck. If you are in a zone that allows more than one regular tag then you could. If you are in zone 1 then no. This was discussed in detail on this thread.

http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/community/showthread.php?t=81037