close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Busted by doe. What to do?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by Boston30, Oct 1, 2007.

1. 10 minutes before last light i was busted by a doe at 5 yards. Of course, she came silently from the opposite direction i was looking. Don't think she caught my scent, just movement and stood there looking at me for 30 seconds before she blew, took off 20 yards and stopped again... kept looking then blew two more times.

Would most of you move stand locations after an event like this? My gut feeling is that she will always look for me in that stand. Any suggestions?

2. She is only one deer and if she was alone this time she may not mess up things on down the line. If you feel confident about the stand location and shooting opportunities I would not abandon it yet.

3. mirrocraft mike

mirrocraft mike Now in a Alumacraft

4. sporty

sporty OGF Team - Charter Member

If she didn't turn and high tail it she probably didn't scent you. She just saw something she was unsure of and was trying to figure it out. I too say leave the stand where it is.

5. maybe go up a lil higher if your in a climber.

6. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

I would suggest that you fill your first tag with the next doe that comes in acting like she is looking for you:)

I don't think you have anything to worry about

7. I have been busted in the tree I hunt from many times. I have never spooked a deer from the stand, but they have noticed and checked me out for a bit. I can not abandon this spot because it is a high traffic area. The back hillside of our property is nothing but green briars and this spot is where many of them enter and leave the green briars. There are about 5 different trees I can hunt from at this spot, so I often change trees from weekend to weekend. Maybe you should try that if there is another tree you can get in.

Ben

8. I agree with Danshady. If possible go higher. I use a climber and dont hang under 20 feet. I wouldnt move the stand though.

9. I would suggest that you fill your first tag with the next doe that comes in acting like she is looking for you
    I agree with lundy,don't let one get used to looking up.Others will learn also;)

10. BuckHunter10

BuckHunter10 Hunting 24/7

I wouldnt say to move I had a buck run off on me bc of my cousin moving in the stand it was a double and two weeks later my uncle gets a shot off at him. we let the area sit after that and put out some corn when he ran off the first time.

11. I would have to agree with a few of the statements already made. I would try to find a tree nearby and move there, considering the predominant wind direction; AND try to get up a little higher in the new tree. I believe that doe will check for you in that spot each time she comes through for a while. In 3 or 4 weeks, a big buck may be following her and she may bust you. The buck will leave too. Good Luck.

12. fishnfool

fishnfool out4dabig1

Shoot It! Then Eat It!

13. Thanks for the advice. I actually shot that doe last night from a different stand. Good wind direction but she did look up at me. Good thing she's out of the herd! I appreciate the help.