Burr Oak Bass

Discussion in 'Southeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by kmjschulz, Apr 7, 2008.

1. kmjschulz

kmjschulz Athens County Member

I know theres been alot of threads on Burr Oak lately, but has anybody been bassin out there lately? Just wanted to know what colors are working and what they're biting on. Thanks.

2. RiverWader

RiverWader Cottontail Mafia

I havent had anyone come in th bait shop saying theyve been out on the lake bassn lately but Ill ask around , Usually this time a year a reddish/ Black Bitsy Bug works pretty good.

3. I heard they had a tournament on Sunday with about 25 boats and only had 5-6 fish total

4. i hiot it from the bank last week for a short time in the evening, landed a 20in fish i guessed at around 4 and a pound and a halfer, also lost a toad. the lake is a very good bass fishery and has some real big fish in it.

5. kmjschulz

thanks for the feedback, I'm plannin on heading that way thursday afternoon with my fishing buddy, i'll report on it when i get back. I know black power worms are awesome there a little later in the year and motor oil colored tubes, but yea i wanted to see differing opinions, thanks.

6. i have the luxury of flying above the lakes in southeast ohio. burr oak just looks so muddy still. not saying you cant catch fish in that water clarity, but i just prefer a little clearer water.

7. JignPig Guide

JignPig Guide Fishing Guide

I went to Burr Oak Lake Thursday afternoon (4/10/08). While I was loading in; a guy was loading out. He told me he got skunked. And he said there was a tourneyment recently with very little fish caught.
    I putted around a little and found water that was between 62 & 64-degrees. Within my first 10-minutes of fishing I hooked a giant. I had her within three foot of the boat and had a good look. I mean this was a giant! Maybe eight pounds plus. No kidding. She hit my white bladed, white spinnerbait with a charteuse trialer. And I was running it pretty fast when she hit it. I had her hooked pretty good and was doing ok until I got her within three foot of the boat and she changed directions on me. That's when the spinner came out and I started moaning & whinning like a little babby!
    I had no other hits, nor did I catch any fish. But at least I hooked my first true giant of the year.

8. fished there yesterday evening and today.... water is definately muddy.

9. kmjschulz

Well, we got to burr oak around 4:15 yesterday at dock 4 and fished till about 7:30ish i'd say. My buddy fished a swimmin minnow and caught 5 crappie, 1 LM (a little over a pound), the crappie were very active all afternoon, although we weren't crappie fishing. I caught 2 bass, both on a 4 inch junebug colored lizard, and lost one. As others have mentioned, it is very muddy still and challenging. I never got to try a white spinnerbait, but i imagine that would work well too.