close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

burbot

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by peple of the perch, Oct 21, 2004.

1. where can i catch burbot has anyone ever cought one before r they easy to catch

2. a what is that like a snipe :D

3. I have never caught one but for Lark101_1999 I thought I would post a picture of one.;)

[​IMG]

Here is all the ODNR can tell us about targeting them.:rolleyes:

FISHING METHODS: Anglers catch burbot along piers and harbor mouths in the central basin of Lake Erie from mid-autumn through early spring. The best bait is minnows or nightcrawlers.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  4. Isn't that also called a lawyer fish? I think because it doesn't have a backbone.

5. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

yes, it is also called a lawyer fish....I think it's a member of the cod family.

6. I second the cod family relationship. I believe some refer to it as a freshwater cod. I am interested to hear how many people have caught them and how often.

7. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

I heard they are really good tasting

8. All the pay lakes in my area advertise that they stock burbot for the winter. They are cold water fish and bite good through the cold months. I'm unsure if there are any in public waters and I'm not a paylake fisherman so I've never caught one :confused:

I do know my neighbor brings them home to eat from a few local pay ponds and he says they taste great. I've checked them out and they are strange looking! They are all head and a 24'' only weighs around 2.5 lbs. They have a channel cat like head and an eel looking (very skinny) body.

9. where is this lake at. i would like to try to catch one and how much is it

10. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

They are in Chippawa Creek in Wayne County. Nightcrawlers work good for them.

11. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

i know they catch the burbot at fairport harbor a guy i work with caught 1 their and the times i have tried the old guys out their give me that "you should have been here yesterday" thing :rolleyes: but they can be caught in numbers their we put a couple burbot rods out when we go up their and smelt fish in late november- december they come in to spawn that time of year.................jim :D

12. steelmagoo

steelmagoo Enjigneer

I've tried a couple times at Fairport for them. Never got one. Like trying to catch the rarest fish in the lake at the coldest time of the year. There is one mounted at Grand River Tackle above the counter. Got a face like a monkey.

13. They stock them in paylakes around here also at times.My son got a bunch of them 2 yrs ago,He said they were good eating!

14. what do u do with the smelt. and is it a pay place that time of year

15. Hey Perch, you catch a five gallon pail of those smelt cut off their heads and gut them and roll them in some good breading and fry em` up. Good eating!! Fishingful and Steelhead1 fried some up at the first outing and it was like Lays potato chips you could not just eat one. The area is not a pay place . You just go to the fishing area and fish the wall......JIM

16. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

they are good it is a fun way to spend a night just like jim said chop off the head slit the gut and pull out the insides bread them and fry we catch them up at fairport they are attracted to light fun fish to catch and great eating we fish off the short wall for them they stop charging to park their at that time of year (december).........jim

17. steelhead1

steelhead1 Pikie Bay

OGF Smelt outing? :D

The state record Burbot was caught off the short wall at Fairport. I used to Smelt fish at Edgewater, but last year while Burbot fishing I figured the Smelt were there at Fairport as well. PLUS the added bonus of not being concerned about being shot made Fairport an even better spot.

My first Burbot trip up at Fairport last year was great. It mostly I night thing. I set my Euro Carp gear up on the grand river side for Burbot (One rod for ful and one for me) and we Smelt fished the shallow side.

No Burbot, but did have a few screaming runs.

So I guess if your are going to try to catch a Burbot, you can fish for them and fill a bucket up with tastey Smelt while waiting. I have been waiting four years :eek: Always juuuuust seem to miss them by a day (h*ll minute) or two. Maybe this year :)

Parrot, looking forward to having you join us. Big daddy did last year, something just wrong about a guy that big catching Smelt ..LOL!

18. catking

catking Banned

Fresh water cod, great eating, and I say we get a burbot outing for Erie going :D , I wouldn't mind trying to get a few of these fish......... CATKING

19. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

How would the euro gear hold up for some steelie's?

20. steelhead1

steelhead1 Pikie Bay

Fine, though I have never used it for them.