close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Burbot Questions

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by CoolWater, Dec 7, 2004.

1. CoolWater

CoolWater Multi-Species Fanatic

I'd like to add this species to my life list and remember seeing in past years some reports in the NE Forum. Not asking for anyone's secret spot but if someone could give me a public pier or access place they target them, what water temp to look for, and the technique. Thanks in advance...

2. Coolwater,

The only place around here that they are taken with any regularity is the piers at the mouth of the Grand River. They should start biting in the next week or so. They are not hard to fish for, big shiners on the bottom. Most guys target them a couple of hours before dawn.

Wes

3. Depending on how ambitous you are about putting this on your list. We have been catching (lawyer, ling) a.k.a burbot in Ontario for many years. They normally only grow to be 3lbs, and I have not seen one over that. We catch them vertical jigging while trying for walleye. - In case you are ever up that way, could be a good thing to try. (by the way, I hear they taste great!) - they are also known as fresh water cod
    ying

(looks like wes might have an easier tip)

4. steelmagoo

steelmagoo Enjigneer

You're Chardon, right? 44 north to 2 east to Richmond Street then north until it ends. That'll put you at the ramps in Fairport. Follow the sidewalk out the north west corner of the lot to the short wall. Get bait at D&R or Grand River Tackle on the way. Should take you about 20 min.

5. My father used to fish up at Conneaut on the breakwall for them. The oldtimers used to call them eel pout. All I can remember is that they are as slimy as any eel but taste excellent. How something so ugly could taste so good was a mystery to me then and now. From what i understand in minnesota they hold an annual festival on some lake to celebrate this unique fish , freshwater cod , ling cod or eel pout all the same fish.

My memories are from the mid-fifties but it seemed to me they were rather large from 5 to 15 lbs. The most i remember my dad cleaning at one time was 4. The time of year was november and december and it was strictly night fishing.