Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Catch and Release
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone fished either recently? Thinking of trying them out and not looking to waste a day if they aren't good.

·
Catch and Release
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Went to westlake rec "lake" this am. Caught about a dozen panfish, mostly near the dock, off night crawlers. You can see them in the water. Tried poppers, salamanders and minnow all around to no avail. Would highly recommend for families as there are benches all around and trees are far enough back that you don't snag them. Also, no real brush in lake to snag on. Catch is you have to be a westlake resident. ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1374848004.982207.jpg ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1374848022.740358.jpg couple pics of what we caught

Attachments

·
Registered
186 Posts
There are some nice catfish and largemouth in there too, haven't been there in quite a few years though. I can't remember the date but they do stock rainbows as well (probably doesn't last long lol)

I'm speaking of Westlake Rec 'lake'

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Catch and Release
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The sign said open to Westlake residents, that's what my statement was based off of, nothing more. Same sign also has the limits and keeper size rules for the property. No one questioned us at any point and they had staff out mowing all around us toward the end.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Do you know what the state stocks in there?
Trout in the beginning of April. Westllake stocks a month or so later with some cats/bass and more trout for a kids event. The fishing was pretty good the first few years of the pond opening. Bass 16" to 20" and some decent cats. Since then, most of the solid fish have left on stringers so you can now expect undersized bass and bluegills at best. There is virtually no structure available except for a few obvious spots where the water enters and exits the pond. If you encounter a log in the water (mostly on the north/west side), you will find fish since there isn't much more around for the fish to use. There are a few grass carp available that can be had on a fly rod during the summer.

·
Catch and Release
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just wanted to follow up here with a thank you. That was easily one of the most complete posts I've read on these boards and very informative.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts