Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Oldest boy and I trolled Caesars til just before dark last night. We pulled meat for awhile and got skunked. Switched to some Hot&Tots and my favorite blue Wally Diver. Wally diver smoked the Hot&Tots. No keepers, 5 dinks. Hazard and south side of big island 8-10 fow

·
Registered
6,882 Posts
I'm not a saugeye expert but based on what I've seen on sonar it looks like there are a lot of fish in the 10 to 20 ft range. Also there seem to be a lot of suspended fish.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Well to be honest..all of the saugeye I've caught out of Caesars that were over20".... Came from 5-8 foot of water on shallow diving cranks..there are fish deeper but I seem to get the bigger ones in less than 10 feet

·
Muskie Addict
649 Posts
Well to be honest..all of the saugeye I've caught out of Caesars that were over20".... Came from 5-8 foot of water on shallow diving cranks..there are fish deeper but I seem to get the bigger ones in less than 10 feet
Just curious, what time of year (or water temps) are you catch them shallower than 10'?

·
Registered
6,882 Posts
Just curious, what time of year (or water temps) are you catch them shallower than 10'?
..pretty much all spring ,summer,amd fall...you would THINK those saugeye would be caught in shallows mainly in early spring..i thought that too until i started trolling shallow in the summer over the last few years...what tipped me off to it was when i was fishing shallow one sumer using minnows on under a slip float..caught several nice saugeye..so i started trolling in thae same waters

·
Muskie Addict
649 Posts
..pretty much all spring ,summer,amd fall...you would THINK those saugeye would be caught in shallows mainly in early spring..i thought that too until i started trolling shallow in the summer over the last few years...what tipped me off to it was when i was fishing shallow one sumer using minnows on under a slip float..caught several nice saugeye..so i started trolling in thae same waters
Thanks for the reply, I'll have to give the shallows a try.

I typically pursue muskie, but when the water is too hot in July & August I'll switch over to the eyes. The past couple of years I've had pretty good luck fishing breaks and some open water running my lures right around the thermocline depth.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I may be wrong but I've noticed them shallow early and late in the day chasing shad. Mid day they seem to suspend and chillax

May try CJ Brown next week, got a tip today that seems pretty promising.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts