Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hit up Silver Creek with my bro early Sunday morning 8/18 right as the park opened at 6. Was fishing shrimp on the bottom as usual. I started getting small bumps within a half minute or so of the first line being in the water, but didn't heed them much cause usually it's proven to be sunfish and such picking away at the bait. Anyways, the bumps stopped, and after getting my second line in the water, I reeled the first in figuring the little guys had lucked out and pulled the shrimp off, but to my surprise the line started moving back and forth through the water...obviously a fish on the line. Low and behold it was a 10" bullhead. I had no clue they were in the lake at all, as I'd only caught channels up to this point. I pulled 7 more of about the same size out the next few hours before finally hooking a decent channel that I lost when he wrapped my line around another one snagged under the water. It was too much drag from the fish and snagged line for the 15# line I had snelled my hook with. All in all, a decent trip, minus not landing the channel.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Are you talking about silver creek in norton? I am pretty sure that lake never closes. I have had a few decent conversations with the rangers there well past 3 in the morning and they never said anything to me about the park closing. There are big cats in there though. I have a friend that has pulled a 7 and 6 lb out of there this year. Also using shrimp.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I suppose it might be considered in Norton. It's right off Medina Line Road, and it wouldn't surprise me if it doesn't actually close, even though being a Summit County Metropark the official hours are 6am-11pm. And yes, there are good cats in there. I've just never caught a bullhead until this past outing and they seemed to be going nuts for the shrimp. It was a different although fun experience, even if the smaller bullheads were snatching up the bait before channels could

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hahaha! I know what you mean. I'm here right now actually, and have already reeled in a half dozen of the little suckers. But, I've also landed a nice 17" largemouth as well. The second one in two weeks to hit on shrimp. It's weird. They must be going after the gills that are picking at the bait and end up hooking themselves for me. Anyway, I fish the shore opposite the boathouse and dock, usually right up to the edge where the trees and shrubs begin in that little alcove

·
Registered
499 Posts
Very nice. I usually go on the boat house side. take a left at the boat house and walk all the way out to the point where the walking path loops around what I am assuming is supposed to be a rock garden of some sort. Have caught some decent cats over there but I have had some snags over there too if I cast out to far.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts