bullheads at the new state park

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by slick81702, May 4, 2008.

1. hey guys,

went out last night about 9:15 or so and fished for about 3 hours. landed 17 nice size bullheads, and one very nice channel cat!!! the bulls avg. 14-16 inches and 1.5-2lbs. the channel was about 23.5 inches long and close to 9lbs it was a good one. we fished with chix liver and ultra lights with 6 lb. test. we had a blast!!!!!! i hope to get a few pictures up later today or tomorrow. Good luck to all

slick

2. gregshoh

gregshoh Greg

Which state park is this? Thanks!!!

3. sorry bout that, its more or less portage lakes.

4. gregshoh

gregshoh Greg

could you be more specific........were you shore fishing? I have been looking for good shore spots for cats at portage...........Thanks

5. shore fished, bout 30 foot off or so. we fished down by the boat launch. tried to stay out of the wind best we could

6. gregshoh

gregshoh Greg

lol........I am still confused here.........Did they open a new state park? If so where is it located? Which portage lake? Off of which road? Thanks.........

7. STATE PARK IS OFF OF MANCHESTER RD. ITS WAY AFTER 619 AND BEFORE RENNINGER. ITS JUST CALLED STATE PARK. THERE IS A SWIMMING AREA BACK THERE AND A BOAT LAUNCH. THE LAKES BACK THERE ARE REX LAKE AND TURKEYFOOT. I THINK THE PARK CLOSES AT 10 OR 11 PM.
    IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A NICE PLACE TO CAT FISH TRY NORTH RESEVOIR. THERE ARE 2 GREAT LOCATIONS FOR THIS, A BOAT LAUNCH AREA OFF OF STATE MILL AND DISTRICT 3 PARKING AREA OFF OF PORTAGE LAKES DRIVE.
    SRY FOR CAPS..BROKE MY KB.....

8. I started casually catfishing North at State Mill last year a couple times at night, but I got a little creeped out by the number of people that pull into the parking and lot and just sit there. It made me wonder if it was a perv hotspot like Nimi was.

9. LOL... Well if they are its not a good spot to hang out like that.... 2 weeks ago i was fishing there with my friend and my girl friend.. We fished for about 3 hours and saw a Dep, a HP and 2 park ranger vehicles.. The HP was running radar on Manchester and kept returning to do his reports.
    I have fished there allot in the last 4-5 years and there is always that much traffic. With that much police traffic Ive always felt safe fishing there. On more the 1 occasion Deps have walked up to me to see how the fishing is going, they are always friendly and it just makes me feel good to know they are heavily patrolling that area.