Bulldogs

Discussion in 'Muskie & Pike Discussions' started by Cutt'em Jack, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Cutt'em Jack

Cutt'em Jack Musky Madman

Does anyone have any tips for throwing these lures? I've thrown them quite a bit and haven't had so much as a follow. I'm usually throwing the spring dawgs due to the smaller size and have been using a pull and stop type retrieve. I've also thrown them and used a steady medium retrieve. Anyone throwing the pounders, or god forbid the two pounders? Any tips would be appreciated!

2. Keep throwing lol im in the same boat its just a matter of the right fish at the right time good luck

3. I have used the Bulldawgs a lot and like them. I usually use the “pull” and reel in the slack method or a nice slow steady retrieve with an occasional pause. One thing that you will want to have; if you are fishing Bulldawgs is a good quality lighter (wind proof is the best). All it takes is one good hit and your bulldawg is going to be all sliced up. Once its sliced; between the weight of the lure and water resistance the lure will start to ripe apart(I learned this the hard way). Good luck with it!!!!

4. esox62

esox62 BORN TOO LATE

yeah most guys use the method jay does. i prefer a slow steady retrieve as the whole body rocks back and forth. ive never got one on a spring dawg. only the 9 and 12". ive given up on the mags as they are way too hard to cast. the 9" are much easier. i dont throw em much anymore, they were hot for me 3 yrs ago, not so much now.

5. MuskieJim

MuskieJim Trophy Tamer

The pounder and two-pounder were developed as more of a jigging bait rather than a casting lure. I know a lot of guys who use the pounders up in the Detroit River and have great luck on them. I have caught fish on bulldawgs (I prefer the 9" model) and when you do get a fish to strike, they absolutely crush them. A way to step out of the norm is to cruise around the lake until you find a big school of bait. Try tossing a bulldawg into these large schools and I guarantee you will be productive. When a muskie sees a big bulldawg stirring up the shad he's gonna be pissed.

6. I troll with them too, especially the pounders.

7. MuskieJim

MuskieJim Trophy Tamer

Muskyman, that's a great idea as well. Trolling soft plastics brings a whole new edge to trolling. When you are trolling them, do you give the lure any action by jerking the rod, or do you straight troll them? And just out of curiousity, how deep can you get a bulldawg down? I'm sure the pounder can run pretty deep....

8. I am always slowing down, speeding up, turning, etc. As far as the depth, I have had the pounder run 20' and with enough line you probably could get them to run 25'. I really like to run one in the prop wash about 3' under the surface. This rod I will jerk, pause, bring it to the surface, etc.

9. Jim, Like you also said it's fun to cast to open water schools of Shad. I have had better luck with the 9" also. On a a side note a buddy and I was at Cave Run and we were casting into schools of baitfish and we were both up front and he hooked one, it jumped twice and on the second jump, it shook the dawg loose and it CAME FLYING over our heads., scared the sh*t out of us!

10. BigDaddy300

BigDaddy300 multi species angler

I believe you guys mentioned a 2 pound version. If so just imagine what that would feel like getting hit in the head with that thing.:eek:

11. Cutt'em Jack

Cutt'em Jack Musky Madman

It seems to me that most of you guys are having better luck with the regular sized dawgs then the smaller ones. I guess I should try out the regular dawgs before giving up on them then. Thanks guys!

12. ShutUpNFish

ShutUpNFish FishBum

To be quite frank, I wouldn't waste my money on those things!

13. Cool! More for me!

14. MuskieJim

MuskieJim Trophy Tamer

ShutUpNFish, you must be crazy! Bulldawgs were the hot ticket this past year in the Detroit River. No one, and I mean NO ONE was catching fish on a cold front weekend we were up there, and we hooked into 5 fish, landing 4. Big fish seem to love those things.

15. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Livin' the moontime

I own one regular size dawg in a walleye color. I once had a follow on it at Leesville. When I went into the figure-8, the fish scoffed at my presentation and crushed BITE-ME's super shad that was FLOATING STILL on the surface at boatside. Whenever I make it back up to D-troit, I'll give it another shot.

16. ShutUpNFish

ShutUpNFish FishBum

I don't fish the Detroit River, but it may be similar to St. Clair where the bait of preference seems to be the 5 1/2 Wiley killer. They won't even look at the 8 incher which I love to troll in the Kawarthas and close to home. I guess I never felt the need to buy or use Bulldawgs because what I use now, works fine for me. When casting, I generally either use a jerkbait or bucktail.

17. I didn't know the smaller Wiley worked better on St. Clair. I have never fished there, but was hoping to someday and was stocking up on both sizes.

18. I've used the 9in version at Leesville, all I've gotten from it is more practice with my lure snag remover! I did find schooling shad last year there and literally followed them for almost an hour- casting my arse off- nothing to show for it though.

19. I caught this 45incher on a 9in bulldawg at Leesville 2 weeks ago.

[​IMG]

20. ShutUpNFish

ShutUpNFish FishBum

muskyman,

I'm headed out there June 29th for a week. Got a new 24' boat last year with a sweet cuddy cabin and will be staying on it. One of the pains when going out to St Clair around that time, was finding lodging, booking ahead and hoping the weather would be OK....Now I can simply decide the night before if I want to and stay in the boat at Belle River Marina. I can't wait! We got two fish in the mid fifties within the same hour on the same day there last year. One on a Wiley Killer and the other on a LEO Shayla Shad. The Wiley 6" King Jr. is also a good choice for St. Clair. Tight Lines!

Marshall,

Very nice fish....did you get a weight on that one? I bet she was pushing 30#...Congrats!