close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bull Cats??

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by spiff, Jul 21, 2004.

1. Maybe I have never seen an adult bull cat before, but my buddies and I caught a couple of cats that were obviously not channels or flatheads. They had a wider head and shorter body than channels, had black heads with a body more channel colored, and they had more and thicker whiskers than channels along with a wider mouth. Weighed 2-3 pounds and were caught on chicken livers and nightcrawlers. Always caught yellow-bellies and little bulls before.

Here's a bad picture of a little one. Bulls, right???????

Attached Files:

2. That's just a male channel cat still in spawning mode. What do you mean by "bull" catfish?

3. ShoreBoundOne

ShoreBoundOne lengthy Member

Its a channel...bullheads dont have forked tails.

MMagis is correct.

Mitch

4. Thanx. Didn't realize how different channels can look during spawn.

5. JUSTCRAZY

JUSTCRAZY Wurlds Wurst Spellor

Channel cat heads might swell a little bit, but BULLHEAD live up to there name. They look like a very large tadpole, more head than body. The picture on you link is very misleading.

6. So what about this one. Short, fat and a wider mouth. Forgive the pic, but I didn't realize at the time that I could get a chance for someone who knew to tell me what some of these were.

Attached Files:

7. Can't really tell anything from the pic, but it LOOKS like a channel cat. The white belly, along with the fins, I'd say that's what it has to be.

8. Yea the tails are always the best way to tell bullheads from channels if you are not used to them

9. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Male channel cat in spawning mode.

10. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

roger doger

11. rockbass

rockbass Banned

I agree with the pic being misleading on the odnr page. that pic looked more like a small channel to me!

12. Bassnpro1

Bassnpro1 OSU outdoorsman

Here are two pics of bullheads that I have caught. the pics aren't great but here goes. I caught the first one at Indian Lake and the second at Winton Woods on a crankbait.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Here's a bigger male channel in spawn mode.
    [​IMG]

14. catfishhunter001

catfishhunter001 The Natural

I read an artical about channel cat. In ohio It said true channel cat are not very common but there are many crossbread catfish that resemble channels very much . thats why many state parks such as deer creek stock fingerling(squeelers)channelcat. To help repopulate the true channel cat. That is why channelcat can look so different in different bodys of water.many are not 100% true channel cat. Has anybody else heard that I dont know if its true or not but I read it in a mag a couple years ago.channelheads , bluebulls , yellowshovels .........????

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015