close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bulk Beans....

Discussion in 'Carp Discussions' started by Buckeye Bob, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Buckeye Bob

Buckeye Bob rrbski, The Happy Carper

Something unusual happened today....had a friday afternoon off :p Anywho....picked up a reel that I had in the shop for a bearing replacement along with another rangemaster I had converted (eyes, reel seat etc.) to baitcast....got my TJ Evans 2005 permit, picked up some P-line CX and some Berkley Vanish Transition fishing line to give a go....

.....and stopped by GFS (Gordon Food Supply)..to check on a couple things. They carry chick peas, 20 lbs for $18.35....fine bread crumb 20 lb for 29.65...and blackeyed peas, 30 lb for 19.89. None of these were on the shelf...but, they can have it there within 2 days of ordering (they don't receive deliveries on weekends)...and they take phone in orders.

If you've never been in a GFS store....it's a carp bait paradise.....AK....they sell sweetcorn in big 6 lb 6 oz cans too. Don't remember the price. :D :D

Good fishing all.

2. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

:D thanks bob..
    about the chickpeas..i'm talking to an indian guy here in town to get them in bulk, he can order it in as well..i'm sure its gonna be cheaper than that.. possibly around 60cents a pound or less.. if not i can just goto the source on devon rd in chicago and get em cheap for ya.. :)
    ps..i was wondering how to keep the blk eye pea from smellin like some bad gas after soakin it.. its horrible

3. Buckeye Bob

Buckeye Bob rrbski, The Happy Carper

Sounds good AK....keep us posted. As far as the blackeyed peas...never had that problem....unless let them sit toooooo long in the bucket. :p

4. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

6lb can of sweetcorn....$2 at Sam's club...wink!

Bob, thanks for the info on the bulk chick peas, i'll be stocking up at GFS then.

Scott

5. Do you boil your chick peas or simply soak them overnight?
    THANKS in advance

6. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Im not like most guys, i pour a lot of flavoring over my peas, then let them soak for a few days.Then i put them in my bait fridge.
    Some flavorings are thicker and dont soak up very well and some brands of chick peas seem to have more "wax" coating and wont let flavors absorb very well....to cure this if after 12 hrs the peas are not soaking up the flavoring, i add some water...this helps a lot with certain flavors i have found.

I do not boil mine as i feel you wont get the most out of the flavoring as possible.
    My peas are nice and big and are safe for the fish...since they are full expanded.ask ak, he saw a few of mine the other day at COSI....but i was'nt letting him in my bait bag...lol...or smell too many of my flavors, sorry buddy, we ALL have secrets..lol

Peas also take on colors very very well and you can add food coloring to inhance the color if you want too.

Peas are not talked about very much...so i will not talk about them much either..lol..shhhh

Scott

7. catking

catking Banned

I also never boil mine. I soak them ( expensive) in 100% extracts ( vanilla , bananna, etc. ) It takes quite awhile to do it like this, but they are powerful . The biggest carp I've ever caught were on chick peas..... CATKING