Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started our morning off @ Lakeshore Bait n Ramp bringin' the ladies donuts....Started to head out n had to turn back for a bit from the monsoon that hit..this is like 6am...Anyway got out to the 10 mile mark in front of stacks,started fishing....Junk fish,junk fish...bait stealers then gotour 1st eye on a purple n white dbl willow 3ounce 125 back....more junk.....as the day progressed fishing got tougher,scattered fish caught 7 in total ....Harness's were purple/black,purple/pink,purple/white n black all between 100 n 128 back 3 ounce....did manage 1 on a "STINGER" confusion color.....used Contender spoons n wasn't happening....Most fish caught on turns....Good luck all B safe n see ya Fri.......

·
Registered
341 Posts
we fished out of Ashtabula yesterday too, didn't go out until 9, so we missed the morning storms. went due north to the 02 line and started catching immediately. got our 12 in about 6 hours fishing, would have been done sooner but couldn't keep crawlers on, bait stealers everywhere. double willows in purple caught 9 of our 12 fish. ran them high as I wasn't marking many fish down deep:T

·
Registered
237 Posts
I was fishing with ramfan. we hit all of our fish at the 02-47 ish area. when the lake laid down and enabled us to make turns and troll south in my 16ft crestliner is when we could actually figure out a pattern. so wanting a boat that will push through the waves instead of going over them!
\

·
Registered
237 Posts
Started our morning off @ Lakeshore Bait n Ramp bringin' the ladies donuts....Started to head out n had to turn back for a bit from the monsoon that hit..this is like 6am...Anyway got out to the 10 mile mark in front of stacks,started fishing....Junk fish,junk fish...bait stealers then gotour 1st eye on a purple n white dbl willow 3ounce 125 back....more junk.....as the day progressed fishing got tougher,scattered fish caught 7 in total ....Harness's were purple/black,purple/pink,purple/white n black all between 100 n 128 back 3 ounce....did manage 1 on a "STINGER" confusion color.....used Contender spoons n wasn't happening....Most fish caught on turns....Good luck all B safe n see ya Fri.......
the 2 ounce weights were 100-125 back and the 3's were at 80 bill lol! big dipseys at a #3 setting at 85-95 back took a few fish too...finally after 3 years of fishing the lake calibrated all my rods so I know the ft' back #'s are spot on. in rough water when we cant turn and troll back in my little 16 footer the key is too pick up and move back after a mile or so and keep coming back through a productive area instead of aimlessly trolling with fingers crossed....

·
Registered
341 Posts
the 2 ounce weights were 100-125 back and the 3's were at 80 bill lol! big dipseys at a #3 setting at 85-95 back took a few fish too...finally after 3 years of fishing the lake calibrated all my rods so I know the ft' back #'s are spot on. in rough water when we cant turn and troll back in my little 16 footer the key is too pick up and move back after a mile or so and keep coming back through a productive area instead of aimlessly trolling with fingers crossed....
I have a boat big enough to push through the waves, 25 footer, and still usually troll with the waves and run back to start over unless they are 2 foot or less, just a lot easier. I was running all 3oz inlines at 55' back, tried various leads but that was the one that produced the best.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have a boat big enough to push through the waves, 25 footer, and still usually troll with the waves and run back to start over unless they are 2 foot or less, just a lot easier. I was running all 3oz inlines at 55' back, tried various leads but that was the one that produced the best.
how deep would you say those were running? what was your speed? I've been told that when fish are up high you wont really mark them on depthfinder. Did you see them on screen and make decision to fish high?

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
how deep would you say those were running? what was your speed? I've been told that when fish are up high you wont really mark them on depthfinder. Did you see them on screen and make decision to fish high?
3 oz at 55' at a speed of 1.5 mph is approximately 26' down with a 30 lbs braid according to my charts...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
341 Posts
3 oz at 55' at a speed of 1.5 mph is approximately 26' down with a 30 lbs braid according to my charts...

that's correct. my speed was 1.3 to 1.7 yes I was marking fish at 30 feet and above, a lot of them and almost nothing down deep. I have fished short leads all year so far.

·
Registered
237 Posts
that's correct. my speed was 1.3 to 1.7 yes I was marking fish at 30 feet and above, a lot of them and almost nothing down deep. I have fished short leads all year so far.
I was thinking up high as in 15' or so...I've talked to people that swear they never fish deeper than 15 ft. they say you wont mark them, but there are always fish in that part of the water column. Also on the speed issue, I've found that every time we make a turn the slow side gets hammered by junkfish or when headed into the waves-wind and our speed initially slows up they rob us blind! I usually troll1.8-2.2.....do you think that turns off the walleye bite at the higher speed?

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
I have caught a lot of walleye in the top 15' of water...can you say husky jerk on a flat line? They go 19' max on braid with 220' out...and no you may not mark them unless their right below the boat.

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
As far as trolling speeds, it depends. With in line weights and dipsy's, slower is sometimes better, especially if your working worm harnesses say at 1.5 mph. For later in the year when I run cranks on wire or behind true trips, I start with a boat speed closer to 2.0. Generally speaking if I'm catching junk fish, I'll pick my boat speed up a little. So that corresponds with your catching junk on the inside of your turn with the lures that are going slower...but each trip out is a little different. Heck, last year we were out and it blew up and we were in good 5-6 footers still catching walleye and GPS speed was 3.6 and I couldn't go any slower as the wind was just pushing me...

·
Registered
237 Posts
As far as trolling speeds, it depends. With in line weights and dipsy's, slower is sometimes better, especially if your working worm harnesses say at 1.5 mph. For later in the year when I run cranks on wire or behind true trips, I start with a boat speed closer to 2.0. Generally speaking if I'm catching junk fish, I'll pick my boat speed up a little. So that corresponds with your catching junk on the inside of your turn with the lures that are going slower...but each trip out is a little different. Heck, last year we were out and it blew up and we were in good 5-6 footers still catching walleye and GPS speed was 3.6 and I couldn't go any slower as the wind was just pushing me...

I definitely agree with the fact that each trip is different! there have been times where all they seem to want are spoons and the very next day all they will touch are harnesses...so I can only imagine that the trolling speeds can vary also. those damn fish are as picky as a woman! LMAO! so far for me this has been the hardest year out of the last three since I became "hooked" on fishing erie. Has began to make me doubt everything I "thought" I knew...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.