Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
"I'll get the net"
1,941 Posts
Good luck Chase,see you sunday. Hope everybody chills out this weekend,going to be busy.

·
Registered
553 Posts
arriving about 06;30. I will be in a crestliner with chillaxin on the side. I will go on 68. first time in ashtabula and taking my old man. Hope she cooperates with us all. Be safe and good luck to all

·
Registered
195 Posts
good luck over the weekend.Cant make it up till mon and tues.gonna stay both days.rather go on the weekdays.less traffic.will be waiting on all the good reports.

·
Banned
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey we have room in here too haha we went all out!!! Got sick of driving back and fourth were right behind the bait shop on that lil beach area

·
Registered
24 Posts
hey WW comin up sat afternoon to Conny will give ya shout if things are slow or on fire, seen ya headed north tonite on way home from work. Im new to this site but been lurkin in the shadows for a while, thanks for all the good reports and have a good weekend

·
Registered
553 Posts
hey wacker I seen your rig set up yesterday. I think you were putting in the same time we were sat. morning. We were in the red crestliner. We went to 73 fow and wasn't having much luck. I came into 69 fow around the 3.5-44.5 and we picked ours up. I heard all the chatter but couldn't get my mic on the radio to work. Has anyone ever had there harness's breaking right above the hooks before. I had 6 harness's break right where the clevis spins yesterday. I tie mine with 17 flouro and use metal clevis's. Any Ideas as to why mine are breaking right there. What do you guys tie yours with? I was running 3 oz inlines on boards at 1.5-2.0

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
hey wacker I seen your rig set up yesterday. I think you were putting in the same time we were sat. morning. We were in the red crestliner. We went to 73 fow and wasn't having much luck. I came into 69 fow around the 3.5-44.5 and we picked ours up. I heard all the chatter but couldn't get my mic on the radio to work. Has anyone ever had there harness's breaking right above the hooks before. I had 6 harness's break right where the clevis spins yesterday. I tie mine with 17 flouro and use metal clevis's. Any Ideas as to why mine are breaking right there. What do you guys tie yours with? I was running 3 oz inlines on boards at 1.5-2.0
Yes the metal.clevises are chaffing your line causing it to break. BD

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
553 Posts
Thanks. Are your plastic ones the inner-changeable ones or not. mono or flouro for harness and what pound test. I was fishing out west early in the year and was actually losing blades on the changeable plastic clevis's. I just switched to the metal ones to .lol where is the best place to buy harness supplies? Thanks fellas.

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
I tie all my harness with 20# Seagaur Fluorocarbon and use the plastic clevis. You might lose a few blades with the plastic but can eliminate that with a drop of instant glue to seal the opening.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Yes get the black ones that have the nipple in the opening they hold the blades in best. You can also put a drop of super glue in the opening and that helps from losing blades.
This year I upgraded to maxima 20 lb flouro. Its the toughest I've ever used. Good luck. BD

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
526 Posts
If you decide to stick with metal clevises, make sure to at least use the folded ones. Ever seen a silver streak pre tied double willow harness for casting? They use folded and its gotta be at least 35-45lb test flouro on em. Thick stuff! I cant even count how many hogs weve brought in on them without replacing anything. Even when the line is stretched out and knicked, hooks are bent and showing silver areas from teeth marks, they still continue to bring fish in. The fish could care less about the 12" of thicker line, hell we even get em just the same when using coated wire.
I buy and also tie the harnesses only 12-14 inches long, so i use leaders. In most cases theres no need to make harnesses 6-8 feet long. They go on and off the roll much much easier when they are 12-14inches. And if you think the little snapswivel connecting the loop end of the harness and the leader is going to scare fish, your wrong imo. Another advantage of this setup is that if you get a knick on the leader, you just change it out. Theres no need to re-tie or change the entire harness, because its not all one piece. That just how we do it, and im sure others here despise this method, but it gets us fish just as much as the next guy. Each to his own.

Get the black clevises with the nipple if your looking for changeable. 90% of the time when you lose a blade its due to angler error. Most of the time fish will shake blades when there head comes above the water, and/or when they are in the net. The rod man needs to give the net man some slack once the fish is in the basket, and the net man needs to be relatively fast and aware with what hes doing. Dropping slack is the biggest thing imo. And keep that fishes head down till he hits the net. We used to lose a lots blades and fish when skiing them in. Sometimes you dont have much of a choice, but you just do what ya gotta do. Even the best of the best of the best drop fish, its just a part of the game. When i get big fish on, i just automatically assume that they are going to spit the hook. That way when they do get off, im not as dissapointed, and when we do land them, i get more enjoyment. Sounds stupid, but thats how i deal with it lol! Probabaly a little more info than you were looking for, but im feeling generous today!

·
Registered
553 Posts
thanks for the info. I am not really looking for a changeable clevis but anything that wont cut line in half. I appreciate all the help.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts