Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out thru the 6:30 bridge and ran to Conneaut for perch. Tried until 10 am with a whopping 1. Setup for walleye and trolled back to Bula between the 04 and 05 lines. It was game on. 24 walleye and 1 steel in 90 minutes. Threw back 3 walleye clearing lines. Lake was 2' or less today.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
500 Posts
Did you fish north or south of the hump for perch? Jack has been saying they are catching some.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
492 Posts
Out thru the 6:30 bridge and ran to Conneaut for perch. Tried until 10 am with a whopping 1. Setup for walleye and trolled back to Bula between the 04 and 05 lines. It was game on. 24 walleye and 1 steel in 90 minutes. Threw back 3 walleye clearing lines. Lake was 2' or less today.

Wow damn nice fishing mis

·
Registered
475 Posts
I,m going to make a guess here, since you ran to Conneaut for perch...there must be not much happening at Ashtabula. I was going to give it a try on Tues. Better keep a couple of trolling rods in the boat. Walleyes still around 04 nnw of harbour ? Thanks for the report.
EB

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, we ran all the way to the PA line. Lots of fish on the way back between the 04 and 05.

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Goldies. And the fish we did get and a few other hits were all on full size Goldies, we tried cutting them on half and got nothing.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Been catching 25-30 out at the second bar. All 13-15”. Had several that were 2-2 1/4lbs last trip.

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
Is it a morning or afternoon bite?
Mostly morning,afternoon they raise up and scatter once the walleye pods start to roam around. They feed on smaller minnows and baby gobies first thing and then raise up and feed on sand fleas later in the day making them much harder to target. Only spending 2 1/2-3hrs for them to get 25-30 fish and then moving on to a different program.

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mostly morning,afternoon they raise up and scatter once the walleye pods start to roam around. They feed on smaller minnows and baby gobies first thing and then raise up and feed on sand fleas later in the day making them much harder to target. Only spending 2 1/2-3hrs for them to get 25-30 fish and then moving on to a different program.
I think part of our problem was the Goldies, they were huge. One of my crew was supposed to bring the frozen emeralds and forgot.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I think part of our problem was the Goldies, they were huge. One of my crew was supposed to bring the frozen emeralds and forgot.

They weren’t too big! We use small no 6 treble hooks on a drop shot rig and put 3 small to medium sized minnows on (one on each hook) makes it look like a cluster of minnows. I seine my own because the bait shop refuses to sell me minnows at Conneaut because “I’m ruining the perch population” I keep maybe 120-150 fish from that area in total every year. I only fish to around 1 limit even if there’s 2 of us. Selective harvest is the key. Perch fishing is tough from a combination of things. Their habits have changed from food forages changing and the commercial netting puts a damper on it as well. But let’s not turn this post into another perch debate.

·
Registered
500 Posts
They weren’t too big! We use small no 6 treble hooks on a drop shot rig and put 3 small to medium sized minnows on (one on each hook) makes it look like a cluster of minnows. I seine my own because the bait shop refuses to sell me minnows at Conneaut because “I’m ruining the perch population” I keep maybe 120-150 fish from that area in total every year. I only fish to around 1 limit even if there’s 2 of us. Selective harvest is the key. Perch fishing is tough from a combination of things. Their habits have changed from food forages changing and the commercial netting puts a damper on it as well. But let’s not turn this post into another perch debate.
That's why they play it down. Last year it was, The perch bite is non-existent. Yet we pulled in limits every time we went out. It blows my mind. I guess they just don't want people there.

·
Registered
500 Posts
That's why they play it down. Last year it was, The perch bite is non-existent. Yet we pulled in limits every time we went out. It blows my mind. I guess they just don't want people there.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts