Building a gaming pc Got ?

Discussion in 'Computing & Gaming Discussions' started by brideout, Oct 26, 2007.

1. I am thinking about building a computer I have been interested in doing this for a while now but not sure if I want to take this on. This would be my first PC build. I am also going to be doing this on a budget. I have compiled a list of componets. I was looking to get opinions,tips and advice from the fellow gamers one here that may have been down this road once before.

Case:
    XionII Black ATX $59.99

Motherboard:
    Mach Speed MSNV-939 $69.99

Processor:
    AMD Athlon 64x2 4200+ $69.99

Video Card:
    XFX Geforce 7300GT/512 MB $49.99

Memory/Ram:
    Edge 1 GB(2x 512MB) kit PC3200 DDR $119.99

Hard Drive:
    WD Caviar SE16 320GB HD $79.99

DVD Drive:
    Lite-On PLDS DVD-Rom/CD-RW BLK $24.99

This all comes up to $474.93 + tax/shipping. I know I still need speakers/Keyboard/Mouse and OS. I have a 19 inch LCD Monitor alsready that I will be using. I apprieciate all opinions and advice.

Rideout

2. 1st- I wouldn't go with the AMD socket 939 cpu and mobo since that is a technological dead end and not really significantly cheaper than AMD AM2 or Intel LGA 775 socket based systems.

2nd- I'm not sure about that case. If it comes with a psu at that price you are probably begging for problems. If you need a good cheap psu (rather than just a cheap psu) look at the offerings from Fortron Source (also sold as the trade name Sparkle) and put that in a cheap case (like a coolermaster elite). Don't go too cheap on the psu or you will have headaches down the road.

3rd- If you go with a socket AM2 or 775 system you can get some great deals on DDR2 ram right now (like $10 after rebate for 1GB!!!). Even if you want to stick with the 939 socket you should be able to find 2GB of quality low latency ram for less than what you have listed for 1gb of ram.

4th- the video card is VERY weak if you will be playing any newer 3D games. IMHO the best way to get a good cheap gaming system is to blow most of your cash on the vid card, get a good over-clocking mobo, a decent cpu cooler, a well made PSU and case with good ventilation and a cheap cpu with a high multiplier and overclock the heck out of the thing.

For the system you want I'd look at the amd am2 5000+ black edition cpu (not sure of the best mobo for this, likely something from gigabyte) or the
    2XXX or 4XXX series from intel 775 (maybe on the abit p35-e mobo) with 2GB of $10/gb ddr2-667 ram (I'll post a link for that later) or 2GB of Adata DDR2-800 ram (~$65) with a Fortron psu in a coolermaster case (or an antec psu and case if you find a good deal and the psu isn't a POS), and spend the rest on the best vid card you can get (minimum of a 7900gs or x1950).

If you haven't already, check out newegg.com for most of the parts.

I just got home from a bar crawl so i'm tired and my brain hurts but later in the weekend I'll try to find time to post some links to help with your system. Do you think you will want to try your hand at over-clocking the system or do you want to not bother with that sort of thing (that'll make a big difference on the best parts to get especially AMD vs. Intel cpu).

Don't worry about building it yourself. It's easy and once you do it you'll never buy a premade system again.
    I think you be able to put together a pretty decent system for $500 if you don't need to include the price of a monitor and OS, especially if you're ok with mail in rebates and waiting for the upcoming holiday season sales to grab some parts. Also, both AMD/ATI and NVIDIA will be releasing new vid cards next month and AMD should release their new desktop cpus at the same time (and Intel will be releasing their new upper-tier 45nm die shrink quad core cpus) so with all the new stuff coming out some of the old, but still good, tech should get bumped down in price.

I've had to edit this post 15 times so it's time for bed.

Steve

3. do yourself a favor, spend a few extra bucks and dont build it yourself.

...unless you just looking for the experience (read: headaches) ;)

4. I went through some of the recomendations Alter and this is what I came up with.

COOLER MASTER Elite 330 RC-330-KKN1-GP Black SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail $34.99 w/$10 mail-in

FSP Group (Fortron Source) AX500-PN ATX2.2 500W Power Supply - Retail $59.99

GIGABYTE GA-MA69GM-S2H AM2 AMD 690G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz Socket AM2 65W Black Edition Processor Model ADO5000DSWOF - Retail
    Combo w/ motherboard and processor $203.98

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM $69.99

EVGA 256-A8-N506-AX GeForce 7800GS 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 AGP 4X/8X Video Card - Retail $149.99 w/$30 Mail-in

G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ - Retail $65.99

All this come up to $584.93 from newegg.com.The main reason I am looking to build my own pc is for the expirence and better quality while spending less money. I have been exploring this option for a while. I play pretty much play all different genre's of games.In my opinion this would be a smarter purchase over a expensive console system because this could be used for multiple things. I will be buying this in pieces because I don't have the cash to dump at once. I also thought about finding things on ebay/craigslist or other soruces to possibly spend less. But this set-up stays around the budget I would want to spend I work alot so I will only be playing about 10-15 hrs a week usually.

Rideout

5. The mobo you picked won't work with that vid card. That vid card needs an AGP slot while the mobo doesn't have an AGP slot (most newer mobos don't offer AGP any more). The video card industry has switched over to the PCI Express x16 slot as the standard slot. The good news is that PCIx16 cards are generally cheaper than their AGP counterparts at a given level of performance.
    Check out the PNY VCG7900SXPB GeForce 7900GS 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card - Retail http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133186 for a decent PCIx16 card for $120 plus shipping. It'll be faster than the 7800gs you have listed there and will be able to handle most games at acceptable settings.

For the RAM, I'd recommend this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211066 rather than the GSkill. The GSkill ram is know to not always be totally stable at DDR2-800 at the default 1.8 voltage which means you might have trouble getting the board to post until you go in to the bios and manually up the voltage to 1.9 to 2.0 volts. The Adata ram on the otherhand is a few dollars cheaper and solid at DDR2-800 at 1.8 volts.
    (With that cpu, your memory will actually only be running at DDR2-743 rather than DDR2-800 if the cpu is left at default speed and multiplier due to AMD chips having the memory controller on the cpu which limits memory divider options. This might mean that the Gskill might be fine at 1.8V but I wouldn't take the chance).

If you want super cheap ram prices check out: http://www.costcentral.com/proddetail/HP/PX976AT/L49299/ for $10 per 1GB after $40 rebate (offer is over at the end of the month). This RAM is sold as Hewlett Packard ram but is really made by Crucial, Kingston or Samsung depending on the batch you get. The downside to this ram, other than the rebate, is that it is only DDR2-667 and AMD systems do benefit a bit from faster DDR2-800 ram (you can probably get this ram to run at DDR2-800 just fine if you up the voltage to 2.0 or 2.1 but it's not a sure thing).

I recommended that particular AMD cpu since it is relatively cheap and has an unlocked multiplier so if you decided to experiment with overclocking the cpu it will be easy to do...just raise the multiplier in the bios, no need to increase the core clock and potentially stress the mobo and other components. Intel's current chips are way better overclockers right now but the AMD black edition is not a bad chip. If you don't care about the unlocked multiplier you might be able to save some $ going with a non-black edition AMD cpu.

The rest of the build looks good. I'd wait for black Friday sales to pick up some of the parts. You should find some deals to save $$. I always do most of my upgrades at this time of the year to take advantage of the sales.

I also saw the Antec earthwatts EA430 ATX12V v2.0 430W Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, CUL, FCC, TUV, CE, CB, C-tick, CCC - Retail on sale at newegg for $30 after a $30 mail in rebate (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371006). This is a pretty good low cost cpu. It's made for antec by seasonic so the quality should be ok. The Fortron psu you've listed is probably the better quality psu but this antec isn't a bad alternative.

Good luck,

Steve