close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Buckskin

Discussion in 'Bucks and Does' started by Onion, Nov 2, 2004.

1. Anyone have any idea how much it would cost to have a hide professionally tanned?

I wanna make a buckskin gun sleeve :D

2. I didn't find a lot of places, but what I did find wanted $8/ square foot. Many, if not most, places will not promise you your own hide back, but one of comparable size. To be honest, it'll probably be cheaper to buy it rather than have it made.

3. Take it to a tanning salon, they have a monthly charge and so much per visit. ;-}. I just went to yahoo and triied a search, the 3rd one is,
    http://www.learn-taxidermy.com/deer_hide_tanning.htm My neighbor does his in a large bucket or drum. He has done it hair on and off. Its time consuming but easy.

4. I wouldn't call it "easy". Though the tanning process isn't rocket science, it takes attention to detail. The fleshing part of it just SUCKS. BY FAR my least favortire part of taxidermy. The link you provided is for tanning a hide for taxidermy. It skips some steps that are used when making buckskin. The worst part is "breaking" the hide, to keep it soft. It can be an enormous job to work a whole hide until it's soft enough to work with. If you have a lot of time it can be done, but I bet you don't do it twice. ;)