close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bucks in velvet?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Stampede, Jun 22, 2004.

1. Stampede

Stampede The Fish Feeder

Coming home from the hospital sat morning,the wife and i decide to go to cracker barrel in milford.Instead of coming home from there the back way we head down 275,the wife was driving and there by the fence was a buck with a nice rack in velvet!!Along the 6 to 8 point range.I got a good look and couldn't believe it.I didn't think a buck would be in velvet this early.Then i talked to a buddy that i don't get to talk to that often and he told me he saw one in ind.about two weeks ago.A first for me.

2. I've seen bucks in velvet every year in turkey season.... of course at that early stage they only have "nubs" a few inches high. ;)
    Now thru late Aug-early Sept is a very good time to look for bucks in fields or field edges to hunt this fall as their core range is about as small as it ever gets. They have all they need in their core areas this time of year and food is over the top now thus the lack of need to move about :D

3. They've been in velvet since about April, and will be til Sept.

4. Stretch

Stretch Wishin I was fishin

I too have seen a few bucks in velvet, saw a real nice 12 point in a field two weeks ago.....Stretch