close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Buckhorn Lake Hazard, Ky

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports - Out of State' started by iam20fan, Dec 15, 2008.

1. here are some pics i took on a trip to hazard a couple years back to see some friends. i want to go back there and camp for a week next summer.

Attached Files:

2. I am very familiar with Buckhorn Lake. When I was a kid I used to spend my summers with my grandparents who lived just downstream from the dam.
    Never did any camping there but the crappie fishing is the best I have ever found! Just downstream from where you took that picture I caught 2 coolers full of the biggest crappies i have ever seen. This was within a 4 hour period. I beleive it was during a full moon in the month of April.
    The odd part was that A month before I had gone to Reelfoot Lake in Tennessee because I had reports of great fishing. Well for 3 days the wind blew so hard you couldn't stay out on the lake. Caught 1 crappie!
    The next month I went to Buckhorn and absolutly slayed them!
    Good luck if you go camping, just be sure to take everything you will need because it is a long drive to any stores around there. I guess you already know that though.
    One other thing, don't get nervous if you hear "Dueling Banjos" off in the distance.

3. PontoonPappy

PontoonPappy retired, relaxin'

rcjohnson,
    Thanks for the info on Buckhorn Lake. Looked it up on the web, and it seems like my kind of fishing lake-narrow and somewhat protected from high winds.
    The state lodge looks very nice, and their room rates are extremely reasonable. I'm considering booking for a few days for my bride and I to do some crappie fishing.
    Would April be a prime month for crappie-I noticed that's when you were there.
    Do you know if they allow jet ski's and waterskiing on Buckhorn? Hope not.
    Thanks again,
    P Pappy

4. be sure your car truck is in good shape while going down there. once you get off 64 and start going east on mountain parkway there is nothing for like 100 miles.i have a cb cause some cell phones dont work down there

5. Very true! This place is really in the middle of nowhere. Always call ahead to see what the water conditions are and the best way is to have the lodge transfer your call to the marina. You do not want to go there if the place is flooded. I know from experience! April or May you wont have any problems with jet skis etc. No real problems later either, nobody seems to go there.

6. PontoonPappy

rcjohnson, iam20fan,

Thanks for the information and advice. Sounds like this lake and secluded area might be similar to a Canadian-type fishing experience, but at half the distance.

I'm going to look into it further.

BTW, welcome to the forum, rcjohnson!

P Pappy

7. ya if you want to get out in the middle of no where this is the place. i heard recently the town of hazard has gotten a 2 more hotels, an applebees,and a super walmart. don't stay at the days inn. its old,not updated . i heard the courtyard my marriot just opened there and is very nice. while driving around the lake there's alot of big hills, if you smell something burning thats just the brakes on your car getting a really get work out.

8. PontoonPappy

Thanks iam20fan,

The state lodge at the lake looks nice, and the rates are very reasonable, $54 per night for seniors and AAA members. We'll probably book a room there.

PPappy