close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Buckeys offense looks bad agin

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by flathunter, Oct 2, 2004.

1. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Man it is brutal to watch, looks like the Browns offense.

2. flathunter

Should they give Smith a shot at QB?

3. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

4. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

aint looking good man. nuegent just kicked to make the score 20-27 come on guys get it together. At this rate they will never make it past the big boys of the big ten. that are coming up got some hard games coming.

5. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

interception come on boys need 7 here.

6. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

I feel sick iam going to bed, it was inevetable that it was going to happen this yr not a good offense and the defense was not at the game today.

7. flathunter

We did not deseve to win the game.

8. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

i can't freakin' believe this...............if this is the way we are starting the big ten teams, i'm scared..veeery skeered..its sad that we lost this game..there are much much tougher teams to comes..i'm voting for our boys to get their heads straight and do something..
    lets go bucks....

9. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

Guys, I said it weeks ago. We aren't the same team.

Who needs Clarrett? We do.

10. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

I agree roger we lost alot of guys this past yr its going to be a rebuilding and learning season for the buckeyes. Our running game is non existent, our offense well what offense, and our oh mighty D is having issues.

11. jeffmo

jeffmo officially unofficial!!!!

i feel pretty darn sorry for nugent.he's been rode hard and put away hot too often.they can't keep relying on his foot to win every game.sooner or later he had to miss one.
    the defense is being forced to spend way too much time on the field and i think they're just getting tired.
    the lack of offense is what's killing them.ross runs like he's just going through the motions,no speed when he does get to the line.twice they were down close to the goal line and couldn't get the ball in the end zone.why didn't they try pitching the ball to one of the running backs to the open side of the field and let them try to punch it in?
    btw,i did like watching that pittman kid play.he looks like he really wants the ball and runs hard.
    i still like zwick and think he's gonna end up being a good one.i liked seeing him finally tuck the ball and run when the opportunity was there.that adds a threat that can keep the defense guessing.
    i think smith will end up transferring.

12. I hope that I don't piss anybody off with this comment,but I don't think the problem is with the offense at all.I think too many OSU fans give way too much credit to Tressel.I think OSU has plenty enough talent on offense to dominate in the Big Ten.The coach's own words are "defense and special teams first,then offense",I don't think that formula does crap in the Big Ten.I know,what about the last couple of years? Don't forget that Tressel has been winning with Cooper's players,not his.How many top offensive recruits are going to want to come to a school that doesn't consider offense a top priority? I agree with the other guy that said Zwick is alright,if they let him be.I think Tressel completely handcuffs the offense hoping for no turnovers,then kick field goals,and let the defense shut the other team down.That may work against MAC schools,but a team like Purdue will bury OSU if they don't open up the offense.Two running plays and then a short third down pass ain't going to be too effective when somebody like Orton is throwing for 350 yards and 3 or 4 TD passes.I'm not a big OSU fan,but they're bumming me out,I've lost some serious coin on them already,but I'll still go with them against Wisconsin,I hope Davis doesn't go wild.

13. shuvlhed1

shuvlhed1 Banned

Oh, man, you did it now. Some guys on here think Tressel is the second coming of the Lord.

14. Hopefully this loss will wake some players and coaches up to the fact that this is truly a different ballclub than the past couple of years.

1. The defense is not what it was the last two years. The linebackers are probably the best that they have had in several years but their defensive linemen are soft on the run and can not contain a QB in the pocket. Their secondary has some talent but too young and lack leadership.
    2. The offense is not tough and will not be able to punish teams. On the plus side they do have some big play ability and need to utilize it. They need to play a bit less close to the vest. The defense is not going to allow them to win by Nugent's 3 points at a time.

15. I'm still scratching my head over the call late in the first quarter to throw a two yard out on 3rd and 1 and then under throw the receiver by a yard. What kind of call is that? Ok you can argue that the defense is planning on you running the ball. Run it anyways. Then we punted the ball and they drove down and scored. I think that is what lost the game for us on top of the poor showing of the offense. I was ready to turn the game off in the 4th quarter but decided to watch and had my hopes dashed. I think one too many coaches and players thought this was going to be an easy win. I hate to say this but I am glad they lost so now they will wake up and hopefully take care of the rest of the Big Ten. Tressel better figure something out with his offense or the Buckeye nation will be calling for his head just like they were Cooper.

16. I don't really fault the offense that much in this loss. Granted the first half was ugly. But they put 24 points on the board in the second half. For a defense that was supposed to be the strength of the team they just did not perform as such. I think the offense can do some things if they allow them to open it up. The defense on the other hand, I am not sure what the answer is to improve it. I am not saying that it a terrible defense but it is not really one that will dominate games in the Big 10.

17. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

the offense wasn't too impressive,except for the short run they had in the second half.aside from a few good plays,the defense just didn't get the job done.might be worn out from carrying the load for so long :rolleyes:
    as much as i like tressle,i think he needs to open it up a little and quit being so conservative.
    maybe a lot of people will disagree,but i think they blew it by not going for all the marbles in overtime.as they say,a win is a win and a loss is a loss no matter if it's by one point or ten.they should never have went for the field goal and pinned their hopes on the defense stopping nw :confused: :rolleyes:
    if they'd scored a td the worst case scenario would then have been another overtime.if they'd made the fg they still would have lost,so tressle should have played with guts and used up all 4 downs going for the td.

18. Is there any coaches anywhere more conservative than Tressel,Lloyd Carr and Butch Davis? I agree with the last guy,I was very surprised when they went for the field goal also,it definitely appeared to me that NW had nobody that could stay with Holmes.

19. I agree that Tressel is extremely conservative possibly to a fault. However, I do not question their decision of going for the field goal in OT. They were faced with a fourth and 8 which is a low percentage conversion at any spot on the field. And when you shorten the field it becomes tougher. I think most Buckeye fans felt pretty confident that Nugent could hit that one. It just was not meant to be. I was really glad that HW put the ball in the end zone once they got inside the 5. I did not want them to win on a field goal and then have some crazy Buckeye fans blaming Nugent for the loss.

I think the biggest back breaker of the OT was when Holmes missed the first down pass that would have probably put us first and goal or close. They made it sound as if Zwick really missed him on that pass. It was a bit off target but that should have been caught. Even the ball on the next to last play of regulation was very catchable. Holmes has great speed and big play ability but he has shown that he can miss a pass every now and then.

I really thought that Zwick played very well the second half. I think he showed a great deal of confidence and took ownership of the offense and made big plays. The one interception was not a terrible pass. It was more that Backes made a great break on it.

20. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

bkr,

pinning their hopes on stopping nw was wasn't what i'd call a "high percentage" plan either :rolleyes: ;)
    my point was,confidence in nugent or not,3 points wasn't gonna do it.i think there are times when you're in that position,that you need to just go for it.especially the way the defense was playing.i wouldn't have put my faith in them being able to stop nw.sure,there was the other scenario where they could have scored the fg,held nw to a fg and had another ot.but nw was there to prove something and outplayed them.as it turned out,they were able to score 6 points and didn't need 4 downs to do it.i also had confidence nugent could do it,but the bottom line is,it would have still been a loss.didn't zwick get sacked for a loss on that series?i may be wrong,but i thought he did.if so,he could have prevented that and shortened the field by throwing it away.i'm not taking anything away from him,but that's one of his weaknesses that needs to be overcome(know when to hold and know when to fold),and i think it will.he kinda reminds me of krenzel in some ways,and made some good plays to get out of trouble.i think with more experience could be a good one.