Buckeye update

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by DaleM, Feb 29, 2008.

1. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Just got off the phone with my brther. He's sitting out on buckeye, where we always set and has about 4" of good ice. He said there are guys as far as the Marsh and also Harbor hills area have a few out there. Looks like it's a go guys!! I'll be out there Tomorrow morning unless things change overnght. Looks like we'll get this weekend anyway. If you go out becareful and catch a few.

2. Thanks for the update. I will try to be there in the morning.

3. Just got word that the ice at Indian is not safe, thinking of heading to Buckeye. Can anyone give a good place to start at? Never fished there before. Trying to look thru some old posts and see what i can find.

4. Fairfield beach is a good place to start. I like fishing the west end of cranberry marsh, which is across the lake from fairfield beach. I don't know if that will be possible with the current ice condition. I just don't know if I trust any ice right now. I checked a pond 2 days ago that I figured would be safe, and I got a wet leg.

5. DaleM

Fairfield Beach is where I'll be Saturday..
    My brother called about 2:00 and has caught 3 nice eyes himself. He said all the guys are catching them today. Nothing fast, but nice 14-16" eyes. he said there are several guys out today all over the Marsh area, Fairfield beach, and Harbor Hills.
    If anything changes I'll post it here tonight. He'll call me later and let me know how it is. I should post about 9:30-10:00 tonight so be sure and check back.

6. Perchy101

Perchy101 Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Unless Dale gives a bad report... I'll be out there on Saturday....

7. Bassnpro1

Bassnpro1 OSU outdoorsman

I was out there this evening from 4-7. The ice was around 4 inches and by the time we left there was at least 1 inch of water on top of it. The ice should be good tomorrow, but it will be a little dicey if it doesn't get below freezing tonight. I was fishing off of fairfielf beach and the fishing was poor. Only saw 3 cigars, 1 keeper caught off of tip-ups between 7 people fishing for 3 hours. I never marked a fish.

8. DaleM

Ice is good! Everything re-froze last night. I'm leaving in about 5 minutes. Most likely the last day we'll have for a while.

9. I knew I shouldn't have taken my ice gear back home last weekend:mad:

10. DaleM

WE had a nice day to be out. The ice was very good ( 4-5 inches) Fish were biting slow but we did manage a few nice eyes. The bite was an early day bite as they shut down all afternoon. We did have a nice time visiting with some of the regulars that have been there all winter. Even had a guest (Chopiq)showed up and fished Buckeye for th first time. Sorry they had lock jaw John. We really do catch some nice fish there. To all those that made it, it was nice to see you all again.Who knows we may make another day if the weather get cold enough. Never say never:D
    I ended up catching 3 nice eyes and a few smaller ones.
    Anyone wishing to get another day in I'm sure the ice will be good at least through tomorrow. It was much colder out there than here in Columbus. Our drilled holes even iced over after an hour or so.
    Thanks again to all those that made it. Another great day to be on the ice with friends.

11. Perchy101

Perchy101 Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Dale with such a late report - I figured you slayed them...

Walking out the door now, heading up to Findlay... Hopefully to find safe ice one more time.

12. It was an early bite where we went also. Iced some eyes early then they shut down. Fished all day but the morning bite was the ticket.

13. Does buckeye have any safe ice on it??

14. DaleM

NO !
    With the snow and the warm weather we had I don't see us getting on it for a long while if again this winter. If we get safe ice I'll post it here.

15. I didn't think there would be. Oh well