Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just woundering if anyone is getting any gills and crappie. ? might head down to lake just to fish and enjoy the lake. If anything get some pizza cottage great food. thanks for help if any and if not have a good day fishing and enjoy the lake :)

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Should be a tad bit early for the fall crappie bite,but the gills should co-operate.If fishing from the boat it should be better odds,if not there is always good food & beverage at the pizza cottage:p

·
BASS prodigy
1,188 Posts
Shot shallow docks and toons tonight. The bluegills (big ones) were cooperating but only one keeper crappie a lil over 11 inches. Don't use shad color, too many of em, try something that will stick out and get there attention.
Good luck,
Kyle
HPT
CP

BTW
Dad got that one not me

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Should be a tad bit early for the fall crappie bite,but the gills should co-operate.If fishing from the boat it should be better odds,if not there is always good food & beverage at the pizza cottage:p
I've caught so many crappie the past 3 weeks at that lake that it's getting boring.. Every cast I caught a crappie.. Have a freezer full now. Just got to know what to use.. I think I found the perfect bait.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Wow man,I'm 58 years old,lived around that lake all my life.Have fished her thousands of times,I'm yet to catch a fish every cast.You're way too good for me:eek:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Shot shallow docks and toons tonight. The bluegills (big ones) were cooperating but only one keeper crappie a lil over 11 inches. Don't use shad color, too many of em, try something that will stick out and get there attention.
Good luck,
Kyle
HPT
CP

BTW
Dad got that one not me

Hi Kyle. This is my very first post here.

Could you tell me what you mean when you say you "Shot shallow docks and toons tonight." Thanks.

Also, if it isn't too much trouble, what did you catch the bluegills and crappies on? Colored jigs, like little tubes and such? Did you use a bobber? :F Thanks.:D

·
Registered
146 Posts
I've caught so many crappie the past 3 weeks at that lake that it's getting boring.. Every cast I caught a crappie.. Have a freezer full now. Just got to know what to use.. I think I found the perfect bait.
Hey, Ethan. That sounds pretty dang good.

Seeing as how this is my second ever post on this here forum maybe you would feel sorry for me, me being such a dang dummy and all, and tell me what your perfect crappie bait is. Maybe not. :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Okay maybe not EVERY cast.. But pretty dang close.. Screw grubs are the best bait i've ever used by far and I have only known about them for about 2 months now.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Wow man,I'm 58 years old,lived around that lake all my life.Have fished her thousands of times,I'm yet to catch a fish every cast.You're way too good for me:eek:
Dick dont be so modest ......I belive we caught one every cast when we were trollin for them wippers :]:T

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hey the dock shooting . i just got that new line nanofil by berkley little out there price but really goes far and cant see in water and the fish cant either. like braid line but not. is real good if just starting shooting goes real far. Good luck and dont catch them all save alittle for us down on st marys. lake is not too bad but i have been really sick and have not been able to get out. My illness has nothing to do with lake. lake looks and fishes good just love buckeye lake.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hey was good day got alot of small ones. and alot of gills. only fished 3 hrs . didnt keep any water temp was high 81 . is a great lake and alot of bait fish.

·
here kitty kitty!
466 Posts
Okay maybe not EVERY cast.. But pretty dang close.. Screw grubs are the best bait i've ever used by far and I have only known about them for about 2 months now.
I've never heard of a screw grub... what are they?

do they have a different name that i may know them by? :confused:

·
BASS prodigy
1,188 Posts
Hi Kyle. This is my very first post here.

Could you tell me what you mean when you say you "Shot shallow docks and toons tonight." Thanks.

Also, if it isn't too much trouble, what did you catch the bluegills and crappies on? Colored jigs, like little tubes and such? Did you use a bobber? :F Thanks.:D

Shooting docks and pontoons. Also known as sling shoting. You take a small jig only and light line with a bendy crappie pole, any size but Ultra light action is best. Now you have ur jig reeled to the first eye above the reel and take it and pull it down to the reel so there is a full bend in the pole. Have a finger on the line, aim right infront of your target and let go and the jig flys to it and skips on the water back in this case under pontoons and docks in shallow water. Just type in dock shooting on youtube. I use a green wassopah jig by crappie pro.
Kyle
HPT
CP

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yes alot of bait fish every were we went. alot of fish getting them off the top of the water. and shooting did work and fish were in the shade. but just went to get away and eat pizza cottage. may hit lake in couple weeks usually fish pad area when duck hunting starts do well there.

·
Registered
10,339 Posts
Thanks fishforlife. lasy yr at this time i was able to pick off eyes and lm bass with lipless cranks at different boatramps, when the shad where stacked in there!
BOBBY

·
Registered
203 Posts
Ripley-- Stop by Bobs Outdoor Supply in Newark{on Union St.} and check out his supply of screw grubs. You won't be sorry. I agree with ethanf163, they are great. Earlier pics of blugill, on this site, this spring were on screw grubs. Friend was useing wax worms, and I was killing him. Both in size and numbers. Also great for crappie. This spring was the first time I had heard about them. I've been back several times to pick up different colors. Rumor has it, the bait store on Rt. 146 near Dillon Dam has them also. Good luck, I think you'll like them.

·
Registered
10,339 Posts
oopss forgot to mention. I was useing another brand bait that looks simaler to the screw grubs, and they did produce very well on the panfish at buckeye for me this spring....
I thinks there supposed to mimmic fry baitfish???
Bobby

1 - 20 of 37 Posts