Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time postEr, my names Mike I've been looking at the forum for a couple years now never joined I just got my own boat and hope to contribute when I can. I'm out on Buckeye Lake trying to troll for eyes with no luck I've tried bOmber fat a and shad raps all fire Tigers with no success looking for some info for a first timer please help thank you. hope everybody has good luck this weekend and nice to meet all of you

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
I haven't heard much info about buckeye this year. But being like Indian,try some bomber model A's B02 and B04. Bandit 100/200 series. I've never caught anything on a bomber fat a or square a.Something about a squared bill and it doesn't catch eyes with my spiderwire. Flat A's work well at times,.

What type of line you using mike?

The type of line you use will make a huge difference of what cranks will work. What worked well with mono may not work well with braids. I've got some jointed shad raps that others mentioned and raved about and have yet to catch anything on them.They have a totally different feel to them and I bet they would perform better with mono. I've never caught a saugeye using spiderwire and rigged with shad raps and rattletraps.. Rattletraps worked before that switch.But my bomber model A's didn't work until I switched to spiderwire and after that,my numbers skyrocket'd!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use berkley 12 pound berkley 8 pound and fireline 6 pound I tried to send you a privite massage but it said i can cause im a newby. Im probley going to try again. Any luck with live bait. Thanks again in advance I guess I can head out to indian tonight.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also I am trolling with a inboard outboard motor at idle should I be using a electric troll motor. At idle im moving about 2 to 3 mph I let out about 100 feet of line

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hey mike, my name is snuff and my bro and myself were at buckeye today. I can tell u this. We use Berkley flicker shads in the #05 size and over the last several years have caught hundreds of eyes. Just put out enough line to bounce off the bottom. Certain colors seem to be better than others, but almost all colors have done well at times. Only managed 2 today. 1-15&1/2 and 1- 21 incher. Also caught 2 kitties and 4 dink eyes. Some parts of the lake are a lot more productive than others. Will send a pm with info.

Snuff

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Try closer to the boat.. literally sometimes 30/50ft is all you need

True,early in the season. I've caught them with less than 30' released. Later in the summer as the water heats up,try the opposite.The eyes at Indian have become skittish on me.I had to take the opposite route for end of june-july eyes 2 straight years.Slightly deeper cranks along with my 8.5'-9' rod tips straight vertical to get out maximum footage released. This allows me to get at least 85'-90' of line released in 5.5'-6.3' of H2O. A rod rigged this way directly behind the propwash would be ideal.The drag that the B04's and 200 series is greater than my B02's and 100 series.When the water heats up,the eyes love the extra wiggle.You'd think I'd get a lot more snags with the slighly deeper divers,but it's the opposite. With a steeper dive plane,the snags pop off easier. I'll still lose one here and there,but majority of them pop off quickly.If it wasn't the roughest season ever,I could have retrieved the majority of those lost cranks.

Crawdad patterns have been the main color lately with Chart craw and red craw the only thing they're hitting. They are extra picky this season,just like late last season. Sunrise craw and mossback craw took a ton last year.

Lacking the class of 2009 and 2010 eyes throughout all the ohio lakes,the eye action is slower for everyone. Indian's missing a years worth of eyes and would be keeper sized 15"-17" this year.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thank you for all the replys, im going to hit up the store get some new raps and bombers, and try again when i can get out.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
True,early in the season. I've caught them with less than 30' released. Later in the summer as the water heats up,try the opposite.The eyes at Indian have become skittish on me.I had to take the opposite route for end of june-july eyes 2 straight years.Slightly deeper cranks along with my 8.5'-9' rod tips straight vertical to get out maximum footage released. This allows me to get at least 85'-90' of line released in 5.5'-6.3' of H2O. A rod rigged this way directlym behind the propwash would be ideal.The drag that the B04's and 200 series is greater than my B02's and 100 series.When the water heats up,the eyes love the extra wiggle.You'd think I'd get a lot more snags with the slighly deeper divers,but it's the opposite. With a steeper dive plane,the snags pop off easier. I'll still lose one here and there,but majority of them pop off quickly.If it wasn't the roughest season ever,I could have retrieved the majority of those lost cranks.

Crawdad patterns have been the main color lately with Chart craw and red craw the only thing they're hitting. They are extra picky this season,just like late last season. Sunrise craw and mossback craw took a ton last year.

Lacking the class of 2009 and 2010 eyes throughout all the ohio lakes,the eye action is slower for everyone. Indian's missing a years worth of eyes and would be keeper sized 15"-17" this year.

I don't post much anymore but July 4 and July 6 I had 13 saugeyes from 15-23.5 Inches and tons of dink saugeyes and none were caught with more than 50 ft. Of line out straight behind the boat and it was in less than 6 ft. Of water. This works best on buckeye in later summer than pulling boards in my opinion. Most fish caught were in the 17-20 inch range on flicker shads and sr5 shad raps. I don't troll much anymore as I like to cast for them a lot better but it's not brain surgery you just have to put the time in on the water as I have.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Flicker Shad with 30-35 foot of 10 lb test @ 1.5 mph will tick bottom in 5-6 foot of water and is a good beginning formula.

·
Registered
9,869 Posts
Saugmon? Do you feel you get fish that follow you before comiting to your lure when trolling? That may be why the shad style baits don't work well for you with braid rather then mono. With braid behind a board most times when a fish noses the lure it will flail out of tune where with mono the lure will continue to run the same. And I'm thinking the fatter bait run more true after being bumped by a fish. Just a though from what ive learned while both reading about and trolling my self with boards on lake Erie. Just a thought.
and playing hooky keep at it an pay attention to what the others have said. There good! An gave great info...

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
When I'm holding the siderod with my shallower 02's, I can feel them nip at it,sometime a couple misses in a row before they finally nail it seconds later. Saugeye follow each other. Hard to tell in the muddier water but I've seen it in slighly clearer water.If 1 goes after a bait,there are others very close trying to get it as well.

Shad style baits? Not sure what you mean.

Short wide bodied cranks is what I mostly use. 2" long and around 1/4 oz.

The rounder the bills,the better. Bandit 100 series is the only flat/squarish billed crank that I caught eyes with,but the outside corners are rounded.Flat billed cranks have to be trolled slower. I've never caught an eye using Square A's,rebel craws,timber tigers,or any other flat/squared billed crank.

Flats A's are the only non short wide bodied crank that I will use.They have the same bill as the B02's. They're slimmer,but bigger and I've caught quite a few eyes on the firetiger B02's.There are times that the eyes really hammer Flat A's and usually in 1 certain section of the main lake.

I've never caught an eye using spiderwire and stickbaits.Lots of eyes using mono,but not after the upgrade to spiderwire. My catch rate quadrupled after switching to braid. When I first started trolling,I thought 40-50 eyes was a good season. After the switch, Anything under 100 is poor season and 200 is about par.In my early mono days, floating rapalas and thunderstick jr's worked ok but I had 3 bomber B02 Firebass that didn't catch anything. Switched to spiderwire,those stickbaits along with rattletraps quit working,but those 3 original bomber firebass caught a ton of eyes. I had to replace trebles on a weekly basis before losing the final one. I still have yet to find any of those firebass that aren't screwtails. The firecraws work well,but not even close to the old firebass. Firecraws are extinct as well. Yellow with silver herringbone-extinct.Looks like the charteuse craw B04's are also extinct as well. That's bomber for you. They keep the crappy brown craw,green craw,firetiger,white,striped bass,largemouth bass colors in production and discontinue the hot ones.

·
Registered
9,869 Posts
Yea when I say shad style baits I'm mean like shadraps and flicker shad. There easier to knock out of wack then a wider wobbling bait like you like.... so maybe one of many reasons why the shad style baits didn't work as well as the ones your running now.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
I had to check out the flicker shads at cabelas to see exactly what they looked like. Very similar bills to the jointed shad raps 03 and 04 size.They may run better than my jointed shad raps. I tried both jsr03 and 04 and seem to not be able to hit bottom with quite of bit of line released. They had very little drag on my rod tips even at 3 mph.Maybe too fast,maybe wrong type of line.

The shallow shadraps with the drop down lip have never caught anything for me.Tried many times,but nothing.

Next time I get to cabelas or bass pro,I'll take a good look at them and pick up a couple. Do you recommend any certain color? The orange tiger and firetiger look pretty good. Cabelas has the smaller sized ones on sale for $2.99-$3.99

·
Registered
780 Posts
Try differant colors in the same bait you are using . Try smaller and larger baits. The saugeye can get picky on color and bait. They will hit the bait going one direction not the other. Differant baits and colors for differant parts of the lake.The amount of line out a little or a lot. Hope this helps and good luck.

·
Registered
9,869 Posts
Hmm. Id go with any thing with orange or chartreuse in it. Lol yea so either of those. Lol hard to chang e though when ur putting consistant nice fish in the boat like you have!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks everyone for all the knowledge. i havent been able to make it back out. but looks like i will have a good chance to get out next weekend.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts