close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Buckeye Lake trip last night.

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Bubba bass bigfoot, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Bubba bass bigfoot

Bubba bass bigfoot Lucky Fisher, or skilled?

Me my dad and micro went to buckeye last night. landed 7 cats. :eek: . my dad got 5 i got 2 and micro none. we took the John Boat. we had to Oar the lake LOL. it was pretty cool. at first the cats were on fire hit after hit. then slow. we missed all together about 5 fish. :mad: . i had a MONSTER. MIcro pointed out something was run'n me and i picked up let him go some more then set the hook. the fight was on. His head was shake'n HARD. then he got up off the bottom and i could try to bring him in but then SNAP. it broke my 25 POUND TEST LINE. Berkley BIG GAME. Either i had a kink in the line or it was a REALLY Big Fish. my dad thought i was snagged, but i was the one with the rod and could tell it was a fish. sucked. all in all an ok night. sucked micro did not get one. he will post a pic of the first cat i got, my first of the year. we took no other pics. they all were in the range of a 1lb. besides the one that got away. they all hit chicken liver also, nothing else.

2. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

Nice work man, which area?

3. seethe303

seethe303 Senior Executive Member

I know that hybrid striped bass will hit chicken livers. they are a heck of a fight too.

4. Bubba bass bigfoot

maybe i had a big ol Hybrid. i would of had to be big. my set up is for big fish and it did not give me an inch. i would crank it to me a little then out it went. we fished around the Onion Island area. all around that area. we were going to go back into the coves in the island, but the people that love there had the enterence blacked off. so we had to change our plans. we fished from 11 to 2:20 i would say. they were hitting fast from 11:30 to 12 then slow.

5. Bubba bass bigfoot

Also i have read and heard there are muskie in there. could i of had a muskie. and its teeth is what caused the line to break. i fought it for about 3-5 mins im guessing maybe shorter. hard to tell when your fighting a large fish lol. ya dont think about it.

6. No way there are musky in there. WAY too shallow and warm.
    (maybe someone will educate me and prove me wrong but I'm pretty darn sure no musky in there. I've seen some HUGE carp though!)

7. Was that 11AM to 2PM or were you night fishin?

8. Bubba bass bigfoot

yeah we were night fishing. and i have read there are Muskie. the lake gets up to 14 foot deep. im no muskie fishermen and not sure what they like but ehh.

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/parks/parks/buckeye.htm

check that link and read the fishing section. thats from the ODNR

9. It use to be a good musky lake I think the last stocking was the late 80s or early nineties. The fish that came out of there were thick body brusiers the odnr decided alum would be a better place for them i have seen longer fish from alum but none that carry the weight that the ones that were stocked in buckeye carried. so many of them get washed over and through the damn at alum i dont really understand why they changed the programs. Alum is a great fishery but buckeye is in my backyard:) . Odds are against it being a ski could of been a pig of a s eye or a big wiper there are some dandies in there eather way good job . I fish with 40 to 80 pound p.p . and keep a light drag let the drag and the rod do the work the line is just to hold the fish drag and rod to fight it with. There were 2 alligators shot out of buckeye last yr and a piranna caught so its a pretty good list of what it could of been.

10. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

yep,buckeye used to hold muskies,but as jshbuckeye said,not much chance of hooking one now.if the fish hit fast and hard,most likely a wiper.biggest i've heard from there is about 16 pounds:B ,which would make for one helluva battle:D

11. Hey, Bubba if you want to hook up sometime on Buckeye let me know, I have a pontoon on the lake.

12. Micro_Mini_Angler

Micro_Mini_Angler live-2-fish

MAN, what a fun trip that was, first of all we had to paddle the whole lake, second of all i had to sit on the bottom of the boat and hold the freakin red/green light, lol, even though i got skunked, i still had fun.

13. fishinking

fishinking G0 Bucks!

If ya'll are targeting cats at night you may have better luck with Hoover, fish the north end with cut shad, liver, or shrimp, shrimp you would want to fish on a bobber rig....Hoover cats i find are on averato be larger...GL on all your fishing... Jimmy :D

14. Juan More Fish

Juan More Fish AKA Dnavarroj

:) How do you fish for cats in a boat? I have always fished for cats on land /bank fishing.I have a boat and would like to start fishing for them in a boat.