close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Buckeye Lake Question

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by oufisherman, Dec 14, 2004.

1. I had a question (or two) for all the central Ohio guys regarding saugeyes in Buckeye Lake. Is Buckeye Lake a decent destination for saugeye for a shorebound angler? Nobody has to reveal any spots, but a point in the general direction would be appreciated. Second, is the spillway at this lake a fishable spillway? This is in regards to areas to fish from shore and availabe fish, never heard it mentioned and just wondered. Thanks.

2. This is one of my favorite lakes. I have not fished it much this fall/winter do to car troubles. This usually is a good saugeye lake for shore anglers, Ive seen saugeye caught and have caught saugeye at north shore, leibs island, fairfield beach area, and sellers point. More and bigger from north shore then any were else.
    Alot of the fish are caught with double jig and minnow, minnows on bottom,
    and i have seen a few caught on rattle traps, and rouges.
    I guess this fall has not been very good but i imagine it ought to be heatting up very, very soon.
    hope this helps
    bobby

3. OUFisherman:

Buckeye Lake is noteworthy for numbers of fish, but not this year. If you're in to ice fishing, then this is a great place to start (and end) the ice season. As the previous post indicated, there are a handfull of public access points, but that's about all. Most of the lake is private property. The spillway is not usually a fishery and it's not designed like most reservoir discharges. However, the public areas are in some good locations, but the shallow water can change quickly, thus affecting the fishing dramatically (hot and cold).

If I were in Athens, I don't know that I would make the drive to Buckeye, especially this year. If you do come up, saugeye are saugeye and there are no real tricks or special presentations at Buckeye--except whatever they're biting on that day!