close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Buckeye Ice?

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Zfish, Jan 23, 2005.

1. Zfish

Zfish More Horsepower Raider!!

Does anyone have any details on Buckeye? Any info would be greatly appriciated. Thanks

2. bassteaser1

bassteaser1 Feared by all that swim

I stopped yesterday and there was open water in front of 79.I talked to a guy that said they had been fishing in Front of FF beach and it was safe enough.No fish reports though.

3. shroomhunter

shroomhunter USMC 1979-1983

I went out there today. There were some holes already drilled out about 15 feet from shore. The ice was about 4". I saw that someone had a shanty set up out farther earlier so I walked on out to the spot. Lots of cracking as I got close. The ice where they had the shanty set up was barely 2" and as I was approaching the hole water was coming out of it with each step. There was another shanty set-up over close to the shore where the ice seems thicker.
    Be a couple more cold days for me yet, I like 4"+.

4. Zfish

Thank you mushroomman. I personally like 4 + myself but maybe for this weekend I'll get lucky. :)

5. Phil Carver

Phil Carver Team Bass Xtreme

WOOOHOOO ! Maybe some one up there does like me after all . :)

6. shroomhunter

shroomhunter USMC 1979-1983

I get my new shanty Thursday evening. I will be at either Buckeye or Piedmont breaking it in. Can't wait! Maybe see ya out there. Probably gonna paint a big mushroom on it.

7. Zfish

lol sounds good man. I may try and get up there Thurs late late even and come home around 8am Fri morn.

8. icebreaker

icebreaker Member

Hey All
    New guy here,just thought I'd start by giving a little info.Fished Buckeye today from about 10 am to 1:30,off FFbeach.Ice started out about 3 in.,deteriorated to about 2in. with the top layer kinda softening,we got off.Lot of water on top where we were.total catch was 3 saugeye,1 crappie,1 cat.

9. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

First of all, we'd like to welcome you to our site. Glad to have you join us.
    Thanks for the update. That's what make this such a great place. Members giving other members advise, updates etc. make it worth stopping by. Don't be a stranger. Again welcome.

10. icebreaker

icebreaker Member

Thanks Dale,looks like a great site,I look forward to participating.
    Bob

11. I was there on the 25 at FF beach and as the other post said we where there from 10 am or so till 1:20 p.m. and time we got ready to leave our shanties had water comming in the floors from the ice sagging and when I got out of shanty for a few minutes to check tip ups the Ice started cracking alot and I could feel the Ice shifting and decided to call it a day. Went over by brooks park and Ice there was 4 to 5 inches compared to the 2 1/2 to 3 at FF beach and brooks park Ice seemed to be alot harder. And there where some fokes out there sunday but didn't stop to see if they caught anything. I'd say wait till this weekend if it stays cold to go out. As I wouldn't want my Friends in there big red trucks and flashy light have to come out to pull you back and give you another shot at life. On a good note the water we where in at FF beack and brooks both were at about 6ft of water under the Ice. Good luck to all who go out and be safe so that we Post again. Later Stonefly71

12. hello,

The thread on buckeye lake's ice is quiet. Any updates? it is cold out there.

13. I was out off Fairfield Beach on Sunday in the pm. Had many visitors, but not many biters, lighting up the Vex every 5 or 10 mins. Eventually managed to coax two small (9-10") eyes into inhaling tipped jigging raps, but that was it. (C&R'd) Got those two later in the afternoon and would guess it was more of the same (small eyes) that I was seeing on the Vex all along. Nothing on several tipups.

Ice was pretty good - 5-6" - with some wet spots. Hope it holds up for a couple weeks (since this weekend is our annual trip to Erie/PIB) but wonder whether it will.

The bait shop at the corner on 79 (forgot the name) was very helpful. The couple working there indicated they had to go to Akron to get minnows for some reason - local supplier out apparently (?) - so I was glad to give them a few bucks of business.

14. The water seems to be dirty everywhere I've been. I've got a few small 'eyes and some crappie & gills. All in all, a slow bite so far...Maybe clearing water will improve the bite. Falling water may keep it goofy, though. There's a lot of open water around a few spots I like to fish. Let's hope it stays cold enough to keep ice for a few weeks...Does BigDaddy's dance work on Buckeye, too?